Any tips - Moose is a strung out dog at vet exams and nail clippings

Thread: Any tips - Moose is a strung out dog at vet exams and nail clippings

Jon

DefaultAny tips - Moose is a strung out dog at vet exams and nail clippings

Now don't get me wrong, Moose a super friendly happy little dude, but man, does he get wired during any sort of exam and nail clipping.

We managed to get through all of his shots with me and my wife in the room, but he had to get blood drawn about 2 weeks ago for a stomach issue and they had some real problems examining him before his neuter today.

They say he's not mean or snappish, he just thrashes away and I don't want it to escalate to thrashing. Maybe he's just real scared when we're not there. I have managed to get ticks off of him, but admittedly can't do the nails. I'm trying to desensitize him with treats and handling him. He's fine with be grabbing his feet when I'm not actually going to do anything and getting treats, but when I start to introduce some type of "exam" or "instrument" he goes on the defensive again.

Archie really spoiled me with this. Nails were not a problem and even through his chemo treatments I was told he never batted an eye. I kind of took it for granted I guess.

We may look at some one on one classes with our puppy school teacher, I guess.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Any tips - Moose is a strung out dog at vet exams and nail clippings

Is there any way you can take him to the vets just to stop by and let the techs give him treats and maybe weigh him a few times a week for a few weeks. That way he will associate the vets with treats and loving.
    With Mocha's nails she used to do just what you described she didn't get agressive but thrashed and threw a fit when I tried to cut them although she was fine with me handeling them otherwise. I finally resorted to taking her to the vets to have them do it. One time they used a dremmel instead of clippers and she did great with it. The next time I asked them to use the Dremmel and she did good again so I bought one. It took a few weeks I started out just turnning it on and letting it run for a minute and gave her treats (kibble) the whole time. Then the next day I would do the same thing. When it didn't phase her I would move it a little closer then repeat. Eventually I did one nail, then two...etc. Now she'll let me do them all she still doesn't just sit there like she doesn't care but she lets me do them without much fight. I still use treats and treat frequently while doing them.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Jon, I think just keep up with the desensitization, only work the nail trimmers into that process. Hold his feet like you are, hold them, push his nails out, then start slowly with the nail trimmers. Let him sniff them, grab a foot, let go of his foot, stroke his back with the trimmers. Hold his foot, let go, stroke a leg with the trimmers. Keep letting him sniff them when he wants as well. Then stroke his foot with the trimmers, working up to your holding his foot and stroking him with the trimmers. Once he's settled into that, work into holding his foot and stroking his foot with them. Then start making the trimmers make their noise, and stroking him.

You might already be doing all of the above, in which case, I'll shut it, but give it a try. Just take it easy. You'll get there. It took a month to get Yeller settled into it, and she was about 7 months at the time and clearly quite traumatized by having her nails done.

Pics!! Pics! Pics!!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

It appears that many of you (us) are trimming or attempting to trin our furry friends nails.

The dogs I have had previously either got enough asphalt and concrete time that I never had to trim them, or had light collored nails that I could see the quick(sp?). Hershey has black nails. I do not want to even get close to cutting into the quicka nd making trimming impossible for anyone. The vet has trimmed her nails twice with no resistance. So, I guess all I ahve to do is know how far down I can trim them.

Are there any sketches that might show some external feature that I could use as a guide?

Thanks in advance
    Ed
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I am having the same issues with Remington. He absolutely HATES to be restrained.
    So, I'm restraining him on a daily basis, gently, with lots of praise and treats.
    He doesn't like it, but this week he has been becoming a bit better with it.
    Time and consistency ;D