What is it with dogs and lawn mowers?

Thread: What is it with dogs and lawn mowers?

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat is it with dogs and lawn mowers?

First of all now have internet at home thank goodness! Good to be able to access this anytime. I'll start posting pics tomorrow.

Ok..so last week when I mowed the yard for the first time Tal barked abd barked at the lawn mower after I started it. He shies away from anything that rolls. When I brought the trash can up today after our morning walk and fetch session, he didn't like it but I had him on leash.

When I crank the mower up tho he really doesn't like it. Thing is, he has walked past yards with mowers going, but he has never seen me use one. Last week, and again today I just put him in the house and he finds the enarest window and watches me from inside. Go figure.

The good thing is that he and Midnight are in the house unattended and so far do just fine. Any ideas how I can get Tal to be calm with the mower??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What is it with dogs and lawn mowers?

Dogs and mowers! Is it the wheels or the noise. They are afraid of them, but they want to watch. I have 3/4 acre that is mostly lawn, riding tractor mower. My sons 6 year old lab would follow me on it whenever he was staying here and I mowed. Of course, he also followed me anywhere I went, he was my shadow. Now Hershey at 6 months still has to have a 15 foot leed on for me to have a chance at catching her if I let her run free oin the unfenced yard. I have to watch her constantly. She gets better every day, bt I never know when she will bolt. Decided to take a chance and see what would happen if I had her out with me when I mowed this weekend. She followed about 15 feet behind the mower for the full hour. She didn't know what to do when I turned around and spent a few second trying to figure out how to jockey back into position. Not once did she bolt for the street. So it is some mixture of fear and fascination.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Riley is not afraid of the lawn mower at all. She thinks its so funny to walk next to me and untie my shoelaces. I tuck the laces in, she grabs the tongue :. Then when she tires of that, she thinks it's a hoot to lay right in my path and won't move. I go around her and have to go back to do all of the spots I missed. There's no way I would let her out in the backyard while weedwacking.....miss dopey would probably try to grab that string also . Yikes.

Oh, while we're at it....the vacuum is fair game as well. she especially likes when I have the hose part out. I end up vacuuming her too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It's funny that you should post this!! Last night I was cutting the grass and Henry usually stays inside. This time he deked out the door with me and when I started the mower up, it started a butt-tucking frenzy of hilarious proportions!! :

Jenica usually has to make sure that she gets all the good long grass before we cut it. So she will check the lawn while we are cutting the grass and we have to tell her repeatedly to move out of the way. Once she is finished with her inspection, she will either just find a spot to lay down and watch us (typically in the middle of the way), or she will roll in the fresh cut grass and turn a little green.

So no fear of the lawn mower here.

BudGirl8 Guest

Billie goes ballistic. She attacks the mower in a frenzy of killer dog barking. She slaps at it with her feet, snarls, barks and generally tries to kill it. This is before I even crank it up.

By the time I get it started she's beside herself. I have to put her inside or gate her off from the rest of the yard. Thankfully in the new house I don't take care of the grass (no yard) so she doesn't have that problem anymore.

I don't know what her problem is - she's the same way with the weed whacker.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Tal isn't nearly as bad with the weed whacker but when I bring the mower out you can tell he is apprehensive. He doesn't start his fit until I crank it up.. Then he just runs around, he could at least butt tuck : and barks at it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff regarded the lawn mower as the devil incarnate for her first several years. I fastened a long (30'/10 m) line to a tree somewhat removed from where I mowed to keep her in sight but out of harm's way and she'd dash to the furthermost scope of the line when the lawn mower came near her and then dash to the other end.

Now, in soon to be her sixth year, she no longer needs tethering and instead plops herself down in a spot I've already mowed and calmly looks on as if she's the foreman supervising my work. When the front lawn is done, she moves with me to the backyard and repeats the process.

She's never cared for vacs, either.

I don't remember what Bess was like around mowers but I think it was more like Puff is now. And Bess loved to be vacuumed.

I think for many dogs it must be the noise and possibly a high pitched whine we don't hear.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi will bark like mad at the lawn mower if its not going :, once I start it up she is fine, and just runs around the lawn while I mow! Unfortuantely she will also bark at motorized wheel chairs if she sees them at the park :-[! We happen to have an retirement home not far from our neighborhood park so this happens a few times a week, yikes!! I am trying to teach her, her manners, whats a mom to do!!