Loose Leash Training

Thread: Loose Leash Training

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultLoose Leash Training

Someone referred to a post on Loose Leash Training. I have done a couple searches but have not been able to find anything that seems to be a sepcific discssion on how to proceed. If someone knows the subject of the post, which board, or anything else, I would appreciate the help finding it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Loose Leash Training

I've never seen anything on it, but I taught Rocket to walk loose leash with me and off leash simply by reinforcing "heel" while we walk with leash, then eventually without. Took me a good while with the off leash, but he does great.

As far as the loose leash goes - most of our walking is loose leashed, and when I need him to pull up closer to me, he responds when I say "heel" without having to jerk the leash.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

There are a number of methods, and it's useful to have a number of things in your toolbox. If you search the training forum, you will find several excellent and very detailed posts by Dana (search by author: FallRiver) that talk about how to teach loose-leash walking methodically and without having to give corrections. When Theo gets sniffy and needs a tune-up, I still go back to those methods, and they *always* work for me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks!!!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I got curious and looked. Here's one good one:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...html#msg172236

Note that you have to be pretty systematic in the way you apply this. You can't allow pulling sometimes and not others, and expect to make consistent progress. It's important that a tight leash is not rewarded.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

theoconbrio,

Thank you so much. Fallriver writes some fantastic training tips/posts. I appreciate that you found it and posted it. I have marked it to go back to and read the rest of her stuff.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.