Should I take my lab or not?

Thread: Should I take my lab or not?

DefaultShould I take my lab or not?

My 1 year old lab barked at my dad, whom he hasn't seen since he was a couple months old, the other night at our house for no apparent reason. He did the same thing to the poor kid working in the pet store the other night. Although he doesn't do anything unless strangers try to pet him, I am still debating whether we should take him to my parents lake house for the July 4th holiday. I know he would love it and have fun swimming in the lake but I also have 5 nieces and nephews that will be there. He has never really seen them much and I don't want him to be aggressive around them when they try to play with him, and I know they will. Any advice on what to do with Chip would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Should I take my lab or not?

Your dog's not being aggressive, it sounds like he's not socialized very well. Bring him to places like petsmart, petco, or parks and ask people to give him treats (which you provide). You want him to associate people with good things. If you bring him to the lake, have your family give him cookies too.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    Your dog's not being aggressive, it sounds like he's not socialized very well. Bring him to places like petsmart, petco, or parks and ask people to give him treats (which you provide). You want him to associate people with good things. If you bring him to the lake, have your family give him cookies too.
    Ditto. Timber used to do the same thing and I did just as Jacks suggested. The barking soon moved on to butt wagging instead.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BudGirl8 Guest

More trips out, more cookies from everyone involved! Just make sure the neices and nephews play appropriately...not yanking on tails and ears, etc.

I agree with everyone else. Also make sure to bring his crate (if he's crate trained) or have a safe place for him to go and get away from the kids if he gets overwhelmed or is trying to rest where they won't bother him.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

And remember that the most important part of these interactions is YOUR response to HIS response.

If he growls or acts fearful, do NOT play into it with "Ohhh, it's okay. Ohhh. Poor boy."

The proper response (99.99999% of the time -- unless you're dealing with a truly people-aggressive dog that has been diagnosed by a trusted behaviorist as having 'issues') is "QUIET" or "SETTLE" or "CUT IT OUT," with a collar correction if needed. And then have the 'stranger' approach again

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with all the others' comments.

You might cut down on the amount of kibble at meals and instead use the pre-measured amount as "treats" to be given out, a few kibbles at a time, by others through the day.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

All this advice is greatly appreciated and will be used. I feel better about taking him now because there is a place for Chip to go to get away for dinner or a nap and he is crate trained so we will have it for him to eat and sleep in. Hopefully this will work out because we frequent the lake quite often and I want him to enjoy it as much as we do.

Thanks for all the great advice it is all very helpful. My birthday was Sunday so we decided to have everyone over for a grill out. This also gave us the chance for Chip to meet the family, in his own home, one at a time with each of them giving him small treats. It went great, by the end of the day Chip was running around the yard wanting attention like the rest of the kids. He didn't even jump all over them like I thought he would. I think he was just scared from lack of socialization. I also took him to my friends house Saturday as a warm up. He has a chocolate lab also and the dogs loved each other. All in all it was a great weekend for the dog and thats greatly due to the ideas from you guys. Thanks so much for all the advice. Chip passed the test and is going so we can only cross our fingers that he likes fireworks.