Labrador drinks lake water and dies. Possibly makes child sick
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Labrador drinks lake water and dies. Possibly makes child sick

  1. #1
    Hunter's Avatar
    Hunter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,925

    DefaultLabrador drinks lake water and dies. Possibly makes child sick

    Holy Crap!!! This lake is only a few minutes away from me

    Taken from the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

    Did algae that killed dog also sicken a child?
    A dog died earlier this month after drinking water from a lake in Wright County contaminated with a toxic form of algae and now health officials are trying to determine if algae-tainted water in Blue Earth County may have made a child sick.

    By Tim Harlow, Star Tribune

    Last update: June 28, 2007 – 10:14 AM



    A dog died earlier this month after drinking water from a lake in Wright County contaminated with a toxic form of algae and now health officials are trying to determine if algae-tainted water in Blue Earth County may have made a child sick.

    The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) is looking into reports that blue-green algae, a common variety of algae that can form dangerous and deadly blooms, recently sickened a child who went swimming in Lake Crystal in south central Minnesota.

    Lab samples show that blue-green algae was present in the lake at the time the child was swimming, Nancy Miller, an MPCA spokeswoman.

    Health officials have not specified the nature of the illness or whether there is a direct link between the child's illness and the toxic algae, Miller said.

    The toxic algae with blooms often form what looks to be a thick scum on the lake's surface, resembling pea soup or paint that somebody poured on the water. It also emits a foul smell, said Steve Heiskary, a MPCA research scientist.

    The algae can harm pets, livestock and humans, causing everything from skin rashes and eye and nose irritation to vomiting and nausea, liver damage, respiratory ailments and complications with the nervous system. In extreme cases, it can cause death.

    That is what happened two weeks ago when Jim Cebulla's yellow lab went for a dip and ingested water from Fountain Lake near Montrose, Minn. in Wright County. A veterinarian confirmed that the dog's death was related to the algae.

    Since that incident, the algae that produces dangerous and deadly blooms has been spotted in lakes in at least five Minnesota counties, Miller said.

    As a result, the MPCA has issued a warning for people to stay out of lakes where algae has been spotted in Blue Earth, Wright, McLeod, Kandiyohi and Douglas counties.

    "If something doesn't look good or doesn't smell good, just stay out of it," Miller said.

    The algae could be in other lakes that have not been reported to the MPCA, Miller said.

    The blooms are most likely to develop when the temperatures get hot and lots of sunlight shines on shallow lakes with high levels of nutrients such as phosphorus and nitrogen. Lakes in central and southern Minnesota tend to be more susceptible to the blooms because they're more shallow and exposed to agricultural and urban runoff.

    Tim Harlow




  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

    DefaultRe: Labrador drinks lake water and dies. Possibly makes child sick

    Just happened in Michigan too. You really need to be careful this time of year.

    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,50133.0.html



    Laura





  4. #3
    AngusFangus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,586

    DefaultRe: Labrador drinks lake water and dies. Possibly makes child sick

    I remember reading something about this before, and now I won't let the boys get anywhere near anything that looks like it might be algae. :-\ So scary!


    Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

    Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    4yelloweyedogs's Avatar
    4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northeast Tennessee
    Posts
    4,419

    DefaultRe: Labrador drinks lake water and dies. Possibly makes child sick

    Well this is something else !! NEVER heard of this...... thankyou for posting !! It's something to watch out for.

    Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.


    http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

  7. #5
    Buddysmom's Avatar
    Buddysmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    7,052

    DefaultRe: Labrador drinks lake water and dies. Possibly makes child sick

    We have to be careful down here because of Red Tide. This is an algae problem, too.


    Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25