My ignorance as a first time dog owner: Should amuse you
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My ignorance as a first time dog owner: Should amuse you

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy ignorance as a first time dog owner: Should amuse you

Paddy. Almost 11 now. My first-ever dog. He knew everything, I knew nothing. It was before this board existed, of course.

When he was old enough I began walking him through what came to be his personal park. He grew up there. I'd walk him through our neighborhood, sometimes on lead, sometimes not. I always got scowls and nasty comments from people when he was off-lead, never mind he always stayed by my side.

He was allowed to go out to play on his own on the weekends. No fenced yard then, mind you. He met and made many friends. How do I know this? People called us. "Are you Paddy's mom/dad?" "Yes." "Well, he's at my house again." Several different houses, most no more than a mile away but still! The neighborhood dry cleaners was a favorite haunt of his. Dog treats there.

Then he gathered courage and began jaunting even further afield to the "bistro district". He particularly enjoyed having Sunday brunch with folks at sidewalk cafes. "Hello... are you Paddy's mom/dad?" "Yes." "Well, he's here with us at (names a cafe). He's fine. I'm given him some water and scrambled eggs."

It took about a year of this when the light bulb finally went on over my head. "You know, Tud, I don't think we'd better let him out like this any more. Someone is apt to steal him or he'll get hit by a car crossing (a really busy intersection of "bistro-district").

How could I have been so lax? How could I have been so ignorant? We both would say... "He'll be fine. He'll be home soon, he always is."

We were lucky, and Paddy had God's divine guidance upon him. But there could very easily have been a needless tragedy.

So, that is my lesson to any new dog owners who are far too trusting of their dog's intelligence and obedience. Luck will not always be with you.

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: My ignorance as a first time dog owner: Should amuse you

Nance..... your wisdom is priceless .......in this day and age you never know what can happen !!!

Very good advice. Someone was sure looking out for him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddy had a guardian angel ...

I wouldn't say you were lax. You were just trusting.

When I was young, kids played outside and in the street. Kids left the house to play and didn't come home until dinnertime. Dogs were allowed to run around. Life was simpler then.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mich
    I wouldn't say you were lax. You were just trusting.

When I was young, kids played outside and in the street. Kids left the house to play and didn't come home until dinnertime. Dogs were allowed to run around. Life was simpler then.
    I totally agree...... times are different now.......

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

I have tremendous guilt over my dog-ignorance with my first boy. The first thing I'm going to do when I see him someday is apologize :-[

My neighbor tells stories all the time of her childhood dog roaming the neighborhood, meeting the kids at school to walk home with them, stealing scarfs off of children walking home in the winter. It is unheard of now in our town for a dog to wander (atleast now that we have a electric fence. : ) Once Cinder learned to open the back door I got several calls from Cody's (another black lab around the corner) Mom that Cinder was visiting. It took about a week for us to catch her doing it, until then my poor kids were getting in BIG trouble for leaving the door open. I was so afraid that she would get hit by a car, especially since she's black. That would be my same fear if I let my cat go outside, too. I just don't understand letting your pet wander. Thank God he never got hurt, live and learn, eh?

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

About 9 or 10 years ago, I lived on a beach access road. You would cross a dirt road from my house and there was the beach. Every now and then, Prudence would find her way out of the yard and wander on the beach :-\ Many times I would find her on someone's deck, sitting outside of their sliding glass doors, watching them eat. Wherever there was food, there was Prudence. If I couldn't find her, I would walk up and down the beach, and she'd be on someone's deck or rolling in something >. The first few times she got out, I panicked. Then I just got used to finding her on the beach. She never got in the water, so I never worried about that. It's crazy, because now I would NEVER let my dogs walk to the beach on their own. The only traffic on the road was residential, but I still feel horrible when I think about her crossing that dirt road by herself to get to the beach.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PAM
    I have tremendous guilt over my dog-ignorance with my first boy. The first thing I'm going to do when I see him someday is apologize :-[
    Ditto

Won't someone please feed me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast