Riley's Surgery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riley's Surgery

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRiley's Surgery

I wasn't sure where to put this, after so much debate about spaying and when is/isn't the right time. I decided to put it here since this is not about that anymore. First, poor Simmy wandered through the house all day looking for his bud. When I brought Riley home, she was pretty dopey and Simmy actually left her alone, such a gentleman! She slept for a few hours, then peed and pooped, slept more. No interest at all in food but ate a few ice cubes. We even had a pretty good thunderstorm and she didn't bat an eye.

At 3am, she woke up and was restless, so I took her outside, gave her a pain pill, then she ate, then she and Simmy decided it was time to play....I was glad she was feeling so good, but jeez, it was 3am after all! Off to bed again...

Up at 6:45, she is acting completely normal. I have not had the cone on her yet, and so far she has no interest in the incision. She's more interested in her front leg, where they shaved her for the IV. I better not trust her completely yet........

Poor Simmy misses his bud...

Post Surgery....can't keep a good lab down. Basketball anyone?

Who's been sleeping in my bed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Riley's Surgery

I'm glad she's come out of it ok I hope she recovery quickly and is back to her old self. Keeping her quiet for a week or so is the hard part so they can heal.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

No collar to keep her from getting at stitches? My vet says I need one, cost for a piece of plastic is absurd. Now I don't see one on Riley? Do I need to pay for one of these?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Cute pics! Hoping for a speedy recovery for Riley.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    No collar to keep her from getting at stitches? My vet says I need one, cost for a piece of plastic is absurd. Now I don't see one on Riley? Do I need to pay for one of these?
    I think it depends on the dog. My exMIL had a dog that tore the stitches out TWICE--once with the cone on. Dakota otoh, had his neuter last Friday and mom said he never even tried to get to the incision.

We also went home with the ridiculously expensive piece of plastic ($20), but have yet to put it on her. The vet tech even brought her out from the back without the cone. She told me to put it on her every single time I leave her alone, if even for a minute. So far, Riley has shown no interest in the incision and is acting exactly as she did pre-surgery (running around like a nut .... it's driving me crazy :, and it's been only 24 hours. I'm not sure when I can stop worrying about her licking the area. The stitches are actually under glue, so you can hardly even tell she was cut open except for the tell-tale perfectly shaved square.

This is ridiculous, trying to keep a lab quiet.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

LOL !! I agree !!

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

georgie is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad to hear Riley is doing well. These labs sure bounce back quickly. Keeping them fairly quiet is the hard part.

Abby is a licker so she had to wear that ridiculous piece of plastic for awhile. :

labbie2 is offline Senior Member

I did not use a cone; I used a t-shirt... just placed it over her head and legs through the arms. I then tied it loosely at the back end of her back; it came over the incision, and she left it alone. She did look like a street urchin, though. hee, hee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast