I just found out about a BC that died this week. The dog had been swimming in a lake; came out, threw up, laid down, and became unresponsive. The owner rushed his dog to an emergency facility after talking to his vet on the phone. By the time he got there (about 1/2 hr. later), the dog's heart rate was 200; treatment was started, but she didn't survive. :'( The vet said it was blue green algae toxicity, and had seen 2 other dogs recently having the same thing.
I'd never heard of it, so thought I'd read up, and post it here, for other's information, since many dogs swim in ponds, lakes and reservoirs.
Article with pictures of tainted water
Thank you for posting this!
Thanks for the warning. :'(
Thanks for posting about this. Since we train in water with our girls, I always worry about this in the summer. If the water looks yucky & I wouldn 't go in it, neither do our girls. That is scary.
Wow..we have a retention pond one house away from me..this is where our common white ducks are, that we feed..every year it gets a bunch of algae floating on it..and now I believe it is this crap. The city comes in and dumps some kind of chemical in the water that usually gets rid of it. I don't let Dakota in there..because there are big snapping turtles in it. It has a fountain in the middle, but the fountain doesn't keep the water moving enough to prevent the bloom I guess. Thanks for this article..now I may stick to the intracoastal for Dakota and forget about local lakes..YIKES!!!!
That's kind of freaky. I swam in lakes and ponds all the time when I was litte many of them had mossy alge around the edges (not where we were swimming). My parents took Mocha swimming while they were watching her for me once and the pond had some algee in it she came back with a staph infection and nasty yeast infection in both ears ???
Thank you fo sharing this with us... I read the story in the other post... It is very sad .. Thanks for the links....
Thanks for posting this.
I posted this today too.
Dani, Rider & Rookie
SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC
Member Since 6/2003
Dona, Thanks for the warning. Our pond is fed by several underground streams and I have never seen algae floating on the water, but I wonder how I can make sure it is safe? It looks like a big black hole by this time of year. I was considering having another lab fest, but not sure if I would want to risk having any dogs get sick or worse.