Two Jake issues...

Thread: Two Jake issues...

KLM

DefaultTwo Jake issues...

Ok, these may or may not be issues at all but I am still fairly new to this dog stuff so I am still learning....sorry if these are totally dumb questions!!!!

I noticed a couple days ago that Jake has a bare spot on his front right "elbow". Is this normal? The left elbow is a little bare but his right a lot worse. It seems a bit scaly also. This may be "normal" but since it has just suddenly appeared it has me concerned. His hair has thinned a great deal all over with all the shedding he's done so maybe this is just a part of that?

Here it is:

Here is the other one for comparison:

Here is one of him playing where you can see how obvious it is:

2nd issue. About 5 days ago I noticed that Jake had a fairly bad gouge on his ear. It had bled and was a little crusty. I have NO idea how he did this!!! My best guess is that maybe a stick poked into his ear while we were playing in the woods?? Other than that thought I truly don't have a clue - and it has been driving me crazy! Anyway, I've been cleaning the wound with first aid wipes and dabbing neosporin on it every day but it just does not seem to be getting any better. I'm afraid it could get infected since it is such an open wound and not really healing. What do you all think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Two Jake issues...

My moms black lab has these same "bald spots" on his elbows and Breed has gotten some too.. Although hers are fairly small... My moms vet told her that this can be caused by the dogs laying on concrete... or rough ground ... They dont seem to ever go away!

KLM

Thanks, I feel a little better about those spots now! It was just so weird that they were all of a sudden so noticable!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My Rocket spent only one night boarded at the kennel where he slept all day and night outside on concrete. Bless his heart - he had raw spots on both elbows - got them overnight, literally.
    I treated them with Neosporin cream (not ointment!!!!) twice a day for a couple of weeks and they did go away.

I'll never put him through that again. Even though I think having him there hurt me more than it hurt him, I like spoiling him at home with doggy beds, etc.

as for the sore on his ear. My last lab (Miss Latte) was constanly getting grass seeds imbedded which of course got infected, I went to a local "horse" shop (I was away on holidays and no where near a vet or propper pet shop), they gave me some blue spray. I think it is just called blue spray, anyway it stains like anything.. it must sting (Miss Latte hated having it sprayed on her) but boy did it work. I often use it when either of my pups have anything that looks like a sore. In fact Cocoa has a blue splotch on his neck right now from the spray, he had a bit of a graze/sore from where Hercules grabs at him when they play fight.
    I dont know if you will be able to get it in the States, but probably wont hurt to try. Maybe a Horseland or something.

good luck with Jake

cheers
    Leone

KLM

Thanks for the responses.

Jake doesn't really ever lay on concrete but we are always outside so I guess it is just from laying on the ground.

I'll check into a spray and see if that helps for his ear! I feel terrible that he got such a bad gouge.