HELP!?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!?!

DefaultHELP!?!

OK guys Breed just ate an entire corn on the cob.. I mean kernels, cob and all.. We got worried because those dont really break down that well. So we called the emergency vet and they said to bring her in immediatly to induce vommiting, or just leave her be and hope for the best that a chunk doesnt get caught in her intestines.. They said it was really common in labradors for the cob chunks to get caught either in the intestines or the esauphagus (if I were to induce vommiting at home) .. I wonder have any of your labs eaten a corn cob and how did you deal with it??? Id hate to take her to the emergency vet and pay a ton of cash if its not that serious.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KLM

DefaultRe: HELP!?!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancin
    OK guys Breed just ate an entire corn on the cob.. I mean kernels, cob and all.. We got worried because those dont really break down that well. So we called the emergency vet and they said to bring her in immediatly to induce vommiting, or just leave her be and hope for the best that a chunk doesnt get caught in her intestines.. They said it was really common in labradors for the cob chunks to get caught either in the intestines or the esauphagus (if I were to induce vommiting at home) .. I wonder have any of your labs eaten a corn cob and how did you deal with it??? Id hate to take her to the emergency vet and pay a ton of cash if its not that serious.....
    I'm not able to answer your question but I was wondering - did he chew it up at all???

Jake ate a corn cob yesterday. It was a small underdeveloped one that got tossed from our garden and he found it. I didn't think it would hurt him (he eats all sorts of other veggies)...he did chew it up fairly well though (for him). He eats lots of veggies (granted, usually COOKED ones) so I didn't think about this hurting him. So...I'll be very interested in the answer to this!!

KLM

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancin

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Is this a vet you trust? IMHO, their response seems odd.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

A large piece of corn cob is definitely dangerous. If you induce vomiting at home and it sticks in the esoph., it could cause damage or possibly even a choking hazard. If left alone, it stands a good chance of causing a blockage. I think I would be inclined to take him in to induce vomiting. If something goes wrong, they would be more likely to correct it there. I hope it works out one way or another. Please keep us updated. :-\

Well it was a decent sized cob... Im not sure how well she chewed it ... The E-Vet said that the cob doesnt break down at all so depending on the size of the chunks they may or may not get caught.. They wanted me to bring he in for an x ray right away to see how big they were... And to try and get them out.. Our regular vet was closed but this is the E-Vet that they use.. Im not even sure how to tell if one gets caught in her intestines or not... They said that the lab will start "acting sick" and the chunks would have to be surgically removed.. It seems like alot of fuss over a corn cob... I will be calling our vet ASAP in the morning!

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Good luck with your kiddo. I'll sure be checking in for updates tomorrow.

Thanks guys.. Thanks for making me fee like Im not crazy for freaking over my dog eating a corn cob! Ill keep you updated!

KLM

How long after they eat the cob could they "act sick"??? I'm worried now! It was yesterday when Jake ate his and he seems just fine at this point.

Im not sure when they are supposed to start acting sick! They didnt say and I was too busy freaking out to remember to ask! Id probably want to call Jakes vet too KL .. It would be my bet that he would be okay if he ate it yesterday and still seems fine.. But I dont know much if anything about a doggies digestive track.. Breed ate hers about and hour and a half ago and seems fine... Ill let you know what our vet says in the morning and if you do call your too let me know so I can see if what they say is the same! Im sorry for freaking you out! But Im glad that I am not the only one whose dog eats bad stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast