I Hope

Thread: I Hope

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultI Hope

what I think happened didn't happen. Yesterday, when I went outside to put some water on the grass and water the plants I planted this year, I saw a black lab in my neighbors yard. For a split second I thought how in the world did Tal get out??!! Immediately realized it was not him. (Tal and Barney were in the back yard, lying on the concrete inside the fence where I could see them).

A pickup stopped in front of the house and the guy got out and called the dog. He came and it was obvious he belonged to this guy. Well, he opened the tailgate on the truck and the dog hopped in. I didn't say anything and continued my business.

I heard what sounded like a slap on the dog's head. I did not see the action that made this noise. And the guy got in his truck and drove off.

SInce I didn't see the man hit the dog, if that is what happened, I figured there was nothing I could do or say.

Opinions if I should have at least said something to the guy. BTW, he was a good 50 - 75 yards away from where I was standing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I hope it didn't happen too. Forgive me, but what does a slap on a dog's head sound like?
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

If you didn't see it, you can't know for sure what that sound was. I'm not sure you could hear a slap on a dogs head unless it was very, very, very hard slap. Then the dog would have yelped. I bet it was something else.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

I would have done exactly the same as you did, Guy. Without actually seeing something happen, one really can't be accusatory.

Not knowing really bites. Doesn't it?

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Dog jumping into the back of a pickup. Who knows what was in there? Or what the noise was? Let it go, you heard the slab of bacon thrown in the back for the dog hit the bed.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I agree, a slap on the head could not have been heard that far away unless it was with real force - which would have made the dog yelp. If you didn't see what made the noise, you can't call the guy on it.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I agree Guy, this one you have to let go. We can only hope it wasn't that, and the dog is well taken care of

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Well, you pretty much confirmed what I thought. **sigh** What I heard sounded like a loud pop. I had not thought about the yelp part...the guy probably just slapped the side of his truck.

I dunno..it kind of irked me when he saw his dog, and yelled Hey!" and not the dog's name. Then put it in the bed of the pickup.

Isn't it amazing how a person's approach can make a huge difference how you perceive something. Now if he has called the dog's name, petted him and put him in the cab then I would have thought the Lab some how got loose, and they came looking for him and I bet he gets a treat when they get home. Obviously not everyone feels the same as we do. I have zero tolerance for anyone who doesn't care for something or someone who is helpless and at their mercy. Ok, rant's over.

justine is offline Senior Member

Ugh. That would bug me.. not really knowing if it happened or not. I hope it didn't!!

georgie is offline Senior Member

You did the right thing...but the reason I say that is because anyone who puts their dog in the back of a pick up isn't too bright to begin with & not worth your time trying to talk to him. Sad but true.