Jacey finished class today WOOHOO!!!! (picture)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jacey finished class today WOOHOO!!!! (picture)

Kathryn Guest

DefaultJacey finished class today WOOHOO!!!! (picture)

We started with 10 or 12 dogs.. I remember 10 but I feel I am forgetting 2 others.
    Anyway, we finished puppy class today! 2 of us showed up . 2 were forgiven and will graduate (parents had to work) the others will not.
    We had a really good time and the doggies got treats and loves and the humans got cake. We start out next class June 26th!!

Heres Jaceys friend from class. They were the only 2 that showed up today :-\ Daisy is a 14 week old brittany. If her mommy would have let me I would have taken her home shes such a sweet heart!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jacey finished class today WOOHOO!!!! (picture)

Why would they not show up I wonder? That was alot of the fun was "graduation day"

Congrats Jacey! You're doin great and I bet you really enjoy your next class!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Congratulations Jacey!! That is a sweet picture.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoritedog
    Why would they not show up I wonder? That was alot of the fun was "graduation day"
    A lot of them dropped out with in the first 3 classes. Last week we had 5 dogs. we would have had all 5 dogs but 2 people had to work and one went camping. one of the 2 who went to work lives with daisy and was able to graduate because she was at the last class. The others can graduate they just have to find a time to come meet with the trainer..

I don't understand why you would pay so much money and only go to 2 classes. I know some people feel that their dog is the dumb one but its all a training issue. more training is needed. Its not that these dogs are dumb its just they need a little more training time during the week. I wish she would start all her classes off with explaining that not all dogs are the same and they do learn with in their own time. One dog may get it right off the others it may take weeks. I know the one person who had the little pug they decided it was a time issue and they couldnt find TIME to do it : .
    I am proud to say Jacey and I are the only ones who made all 6 classes!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Oh! LabMommyKathryn,

You said some people think their dog is the dumb one, implying that is the reason they drop out. I have to have some fun with that comment, even though I know you meant it in the best way.

It isn't the dogs that are dumb, it is the owner. The dog may not be following commands that were taught the previous week, but not because they are dumb. Much more likely that the owner is dumb, wasn't paying attention the previous week, didn't practice at all during the week, blah! blah! blah!. I think we all know before if not after the second class that the puppy training classes trrain the trainer, not the dog.

To pick on myself, at 14 weeks Hershey and I started puppy classes. I have been through them before btu wanted a refresher. First thing I learned was the choke collar had to go or I was expelled. We use positive reinforcement now. Just so you don't think I am a mean guy, at the second class the instructor comes over to me and informs me that Hershey is a really bright dog, anxious to learn but won't because I am a 'woof' <very soft submissive tone>. She was tellling me to establish control over my dog and not be so permissive with her antics. I didn't change that much, but concentrated on gentle correction and quick reward. Hershey was the star of the class the third week. The trainer trained the trainer.<g> SHE CALLED ME A 'woof'!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Congratulations on graduating class! Jacey is adorable!

Just to provide the other side of the coin- Gabby and I dropped out of a class that we hated-Luke and I felt the trainer was incompetent and maintained little to no control of the classroom. I ended up yelling at other people to control their dogs the whole time and came away from each class very frustrated (especially since we spent so much time working with Gabs). When you're driving 1/2 hour each way after class/work and paying for it, sometimes the best thing to do is get your money back and find a class that better suits your need.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Honestly? I was relieved each week when I saw that less and less people were showing up. That gave us more one on one with the trainer.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Ah! Ha! I agree with you. The drops out may be because the human student is too lazy, but may also be because the good human students got into a bad class, or a bad instructor. I apologize to the latter ones that may have been unintentionally thrown into the wrong group by my comment.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Congratulations Jacey!!

Good job Jacey!! You have such a cute little friend from class too!

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    Honestly? I was relieved each week when I saw that less and less people were showing up. That gave us more one on one with the trainer.
    I agree; I loved the smaller class when others didn't show up either. More 1-on-1 time per dog!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast