Above ground pool questions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Above ground pool questions?

DefaultAbove ground pool questions?

I have been thinking of getting an above ground pool this summer - for both the grandkids and my pleasure. Am wondering about the dogs too; Tugg especially loves the water but am not sure about how practical an above ground pool would be. We have a place that we can put it that would be next to a retaining wall, one side of the pool would be at ground level this way. If any of you have this type of pool: do you allow your dog in it, have they damaged it, how do you keep it clean (do the filters they come with work, chemicals,etc). Any thoughts would be appreciated. I would hate to spend all the money and put all the effort into it and have it be a disaster.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Above ground pool questions?

Don't above ground pools have vinyl liners? i.e. How many paw scratches before the liner is torn? Maybe they have improved the liners since I had one back in the 70s.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Pretty sure Dani and Rider and Rookie have one with no problems...hopefully she'll check in to take her mind of Rookie and answer your questions~!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

We have an above ground pool that has a deck where the ladder is. I taught Rider to stay away from the edges of the pool where the liner is and to climb up and down the ladder. We enjoy it very much. Rookie has not swam in it yet.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

My parents have an above ground pool, I already forewarned them I am bringing Abby down this summer to keep her cool.. heh. We'll see how she fairs.. I don't even know if she'll swim in it.

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

I have a above ground pool, The filter works great but... Koko dosen't go in 1 she dosen't like water (I know and she's a lab???) and 2 we are worried she rip the liner. So no experence with the filter and dog hair!

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Our deck is built around our above ground pool. Jack uses the ladder to get into and out of the pool. So far no scratches on the liner. The strainer catches most of the dog hair. Be sure to check your chemicals daily.

We have a above ground pool to and right now I have a total of fourteen dogs, all but three are fosters I have six labs and they all swim everyday in it. My two senior labs had a problem with the ladder and I was afraid they would rip the liner, so we bought the wedding cake steps and it is so much easier for all of them to get in and out now. They are never allowed to swim unless one of us are in the pool to watch them. We always lock the gate to the deck when we are not out there. They get so excited when we come out with bathing suits on !!
    Sherry

Good topic! We just put up our above ground a few days ago, and Jazzy is very interested. She loves to swim. The only way in and out is via the ladder that came with the pool, as the deck isn't up yet. I too was worried about the liner...may have to re-think!

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

We had a border collie lab cross that loved our above ground pool. We taught her how to get out using the ladder and stay way from the vinyl liner. She would often bark at the bottom of the steps to the deck because she wanted to go for a swim. Occasionally, when a dog that annoyed her came over, she would hang out on the deck to avoid him. He had much shorter legs and could not negotiate the ladder-like stairs on to the deck.

The last year we had the pool, the dog was the most frequent user.

Sam's jumped into my cousin's inflatable pool 2x. Both times she jumped over the sides and in. She was having a great time until Mom came along and dragged her out at the ladder. I'm not sure whether it was luck or not but she didn't tear the lining. Sam would have gone in more times if she had not beem actively discouraged. As it was she snuck in the both times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast