Ami I doing everything possible

Thread: Ami I doing everything possible

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultAmi I doing everything possible

To make the move as easy on Tal and Midnight as possible.

For Tal, our routine everyday is to get up, play some fetch and maybe train a little, then eat and he helps me pack..lol. I go workout about 11, home by 1, feed him then we usually take a nap..then more packing then to the lake or a game of fetch. A walk about 9 pm.

The day I actually load the truck, I'll take Tal to daycare and the morning we leave I'll play a good game of fetch with him. I'll have his crate pad in the truck with me and hopefully he will sleep alot during the drive.

Once we reach the house, I'll take him around on leash and show him everything, maybe play with him in his new backyard then I'll put his crate in our room and probably leave him crated until I get the truck unloaded, which should be about an hour or so.

I know he knows something is different and since we are out of school I am spending alot of time with him, whic I would be evern if not moving.

For Midnight, I am starting her conversion to an indoor cat today. A friend of mine had a crate they were not using that is just the right size. I got her a crate pad just like Tal's (well smaller!lol) and am going to start feeding her inside today. I ordered her a cat tree and it will be here sometime next week. I am going to put her in the bathroom as we load the truck but won't let her out of the house that day.

What do you think? I just want to minimize the trauma to them as much as possible...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ami I doing everything possible

I don't think there's anything more you could do !! Sounds like a great plan to me !! Don;t worry so much..... it will all be over soon !! Oh, is it a straight drive through, or do you have to stop overnight ?

melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Sounds like your doing everything you can. You might want to let Midnight in the house for a week or so until she's used to everything just so she doesn't get spooked and try to go back "home" to the old house.
    Good luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    Sounds like your doing everything you can. You might want to let Midnight in the house for a week or so until she's used to everything just so she doesn't get spooked and try to go back "home" to the old house.
    Good luck
    Yeah I forgot to mention I was doing that. I am hoping to acclimate her to being inside only. I figure she is about 7 years old...she was grown when I moved in here. And I noticed some gray fur on her the other day. I want to keep her safe and healthy!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

You are doing pretty much everything right. There is an old wives' tale that if you put butter on a cat's paws after you move them to a new place, the act of sitting and cleaning themselves thoroughly will help them realize the new place is home.

When we moved - even though it was only a few miles - Shadow was a little uneasy the first couple of days, like she was afraid we were going to disappear and leave her there. After sleeping there a couple of times and seeing all the familiar things come out of the boxes, she calmed down.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What is this 'trauma' you speak of? honestly, these dogs are incredibly adaptable. I can't imagine Tal will suffer with any type of stress as the result of your move. If anything he is going to love the change of scene and his new backyard. The cat on the other hand might take a little while to come around as they are so territorial. It'll grow on her though.

Quote Originally Posted by 4yelloweyedogs
    Oh, is it a straight drive through, or do you have to stop overnight ?

melissa
    I'll just drive straight thru. It is about 10 - 11 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    What is this 'trauma' you speak of? honestly, these dogs are incredibly adaptable.
    Well trauma is too strong a word. Stress is more like it!

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

My guess is that Tal is just happy to have you around and not at work for the summer. They will do great, I bet, as long as they are with you.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

I'm sure that Tal will cope very well with the move. We moved several times with our first dogs (even from England to Australia) and each time they took it in their stride. As long as Tal is with you, fed and exercised, I don't think he will be worried at all.

I think cats can find moving a bit more stressful though. One of our cats spent the whole 60 days in quarantine sulking at the top of its run!! I would keep Midnight inside for at least two weeks (four would be better) after the move and when you do start introducing her to the outside, at the new house, take it in small steps. At first just take her into the back yard so that she can see her surroundings, see the fences, tall trees etc ....any land marks that she can use to find her way home again. Then you can start letting her out unsupervised. Maybe using one of the plug in pheromone products at the new house will help her settle.

Good luck with the move. I hope it all goes smoothly.

Won't someone please feed me!