Chronic stray problem

Thread: Chronic stray problem

DefaultChronic stray problem

We are having a big problem in our neighborhood with a family who doesn't think they need to take responsibility for their dog (a yellow lab). They open the door and out he goes to roam until he decides to go home again. He has torn up my flower beds and jumped in my pond numerous time. I've called the owner and even Animal Control 6 times now. Tonight he arrived in our yard at 10:30 pm and my husband was furious. He called the owner and gave it to her. She refused to come get the dog, and was calling him names over the phone because he was mad. He called animal control but they are off duty at night. He finally called the police. The wife refused to answer "her" phone so the daughter came to get the dog. They just had to pick up the dog from the pound on Monday and were fined and now here it is only Thursday and the dog is loose again!!! I feel so sad for the dog! He is only 2-3 years old and is very sweet but is over weight, isn't groomed, and they don't really want him. The officer was telling the girl what they are doing by neglecting the dog is a form of abuse and they should just give it up if they don't want it. My husband told them to contact a lab rescue. It would break my heart if my dogs were taken to the pound!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chronic stray problem

OOOHhhh, I feel for you. I wonder if they'd get concerned at all if you took him in, crated and cared him for a few days. I've done that in the past w/ one wandering neighbor dog and it got their attention. I can tell you though, that's nothing (unless the stray is intact and you have girls in season) compared to aggressive neighbor dogs...... I've begun to really hate some dog owners.
    -Anne (bit Sunday pm by a GR mix)

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

KLM

Oh I feel your pain on this one. We have the same problem and it is infuriating! I just don't understand people who let their dogs run wild. I feel sorry for these dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Some people

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I am surprised that Animal Control haven't done anything to intervene. Maybe a dog law in your area is working against them which is why they can't do anything. You might want to check with your local government (do you have a dog warden?) about any policies they may have on roaming dogs.

Could you try writing a letter to the owners and putting it through their door? anger and frustration tend to get in the way of face-to-face meetings when issues like this are at hand and then little gets achieved. Letters are more personal and can be more effective.

I've got a similar problem. Low life losers a block over have a mini-pin. The dog is nasty; breaks free of it's electric fence or if it is tied up yanks it out of the ground. The dog runs after cars. I almost watched it get hit if I hadn't told the guy it was chasing him. It was in my yard as I was planting flowers the other day, growing like crazy at me. I chased it out, but I really wanted Scooter to just give the dog "the look". I can't understand why they have a dog in the first place. Can't call the owners' they are very antisocial people, they were busted by the DEA a year and a half ago; for growing pot. We all watched as they took out about 45 plants from their basement. And these people have plastic flowers in their beds' go figure??? :

The house is on the market to be sold "as is" - I can only hope they get an offer and we are rid of them.

I keep telling Scooter he should have a sign around his neck saying "I eat frosted Mini-pins for breakfast." - just kidding but what a pain in the butt! I feel your pain.
    Patti

Animal control has given them citations and you would think that would make a difference??? They just don't care about the dog!! We learned from the daughter that it is the father's dog and the daughter and mother end up taking care of it and they don't want it. I guess it is no longer a cute puppy!! I think the next time it comes around I am just taking it to the shelter or rescue so it can have a suitable home. I just can't take it because I already have two male dogs and this one isn't fixed. I would love to find someone who wants a male lab! We told them to call a lab rescue.

I know this is a small problem compared to those of you who are dealing with aggressive dogs in your neighborhood. There have been several cases in our area (Richmond, VA) of roaming dogs who have killed pets and even people. It is terrible. Thank goodness my case isn't that bad.

We have a very similar situation about 4 houses down from ours only the main offender is a Schnauzer. They just don't care about the dog it's so frustrating he's out every single day during the day from what I'm told by neighbors and he's out in the evenings several days a week. He's bit an older neighbor lady who was out walking and is very snappy if you move at him to quickly. They also had a lab puppy a few months back but AC picked it up several times and I guess they never went and got him back out the last time. AC has picked up the Schnauzer several times too but he's getting wise now I think and avoided them when they got the lab pup. They have to pay a big fine to get them back out when they are picked up and they do so I don't understand why they won't just keep them from roaming > I've called AC on them numerous times mainly for the lab puppy he had NO manners and was terrible jumping all over us on our walks and kept getting into our back yard (it's fenced I don't know how he got in). I feel bad but I don't want him getting run over and I don't want him tormenting my dogs when they are walking on leash.

I would just keep calling AC eventually hopefully after they have paid the fee numerous times they will decide it's not worth it and will give him up to someone who wants to care for him.

Kathryn Guest

we have many dogs who run around in my area and I call animal control almost once a week. I havent seen the same dog twice so thats probably a good thing.
    I did learn from the lady next door that if you have an on going prob. that calling the police most of the time gets it taken care of. Animal Control will only do so much :

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I feel for the poor dog. Hello...yes they do grow up just like children. And like children if they are not properly cared for the results are catastrophic.