Advantage-Multi

Thread: Advantage-Multi

DefaultAdvantage-Multi

Has anyone used Advantage Multi or does anyone know anything about it? My vet mentioned it to me today and said they have been using it over in Europe for a while and that it is now available here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Advantage-Multi

I would never use a topical treatment to prevent heartworm. No thanks.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I was thinking the same thing! It doesn't make sense to me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I spoke to one of our vets about this the other day. the Advantage rep had been in there earlier in the day and was singing it's praises and our vet told me that that she hadn't made up her mind about it yet.

I told her that I couldn't recommend a topical for heartworm prevention and would never use it myself and she said that she felt the same way.

Maybe Europe doesn't have the same mosquito population that we do? I don't know - I"m just throwing that out there.

Anyway, we don't allow revolution or any topical hw prevention for our foster dogs and we'd have to see tons more positive data to even consider reconsidering it.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I would think the topical would not get as much medicine into the dog as the chewable. I'll just stick with the Heartgard Plus chewable, thank you.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

according to my vet, it is better for fleas (kills them much more quickly than the injestable meds) but not as reliable for heart worm. (that's the gist of it, she went in to much more detail that I can't really remember... :-[)

Anyhoo, it also has a component that fights mites that others don't have. Peanut had generalized demodectic mange as a puppy, and towards the end of her treatment, she went on advantage multi to continue to treat the mites on a less invasive scale. (she was on ivormectin before that)

This year, Peanut is on Sentinel (tablet) and Baloo is on the advantage multi (fleas much bigger problem than mosquitoes around here.)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!