Ok...grand experiment - need suggestions ASAP please

Thread: Ok...grand experiment - need suggestions ASAP please

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultOk...grand experiment - need suggestions ASAP please

Gonna help out my best buddy and old neighbor. She's in a pinch...the person they were going to have watch Lacey while they were out of town can't watch her...so Lacey is coming to stay with us for a week.

Lacey is Billie's best friend. They romped and played and ran a million laps in my backyard when I lived next door. From the time Lacey came home to live with Laura and Brandon, Billie and Lacey were the terror twins.

Now...Billie is on house arrest for heartworm treatment. No overdoing it. Leashed to me at all times, pottybreaks outside and that's it.

I figure if we gate off the stairs so Lacey can roam downstairs while we're downstairs and Billie is leashed to me that should be ok, right? She'll sleep in her crate downstairs, Billie upstairs with us in our room, gated in. They'll be crated downstairs during the day, each in their own crate.

Anyone who has had a multi-dog household with one on "bed rest" let me know how you've handled it please. I'll take any tips you have.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ok...grand experiment - need suggestions ASAP please

Awww...that's going to be really tough on Billie since she can't play with her best bud.

I've had no experience with H/W but I've heard the treatment is extremely hard on the dog (like brink of death hard) and that they really need to be kept quiet. Since you can't keep the dogs separated, I'd be hesitant to take the extra dog in this case. Billie is going to want to play even if she is tethered to you. I know you want to help your friend but Billie's health should be your #1 priority. JMO.

I'm afraid you are in a tough situation. The object of no activity is to keep the heart rate and respiration rate slow. I believe this is to keep an excessive amount of dead filaria from accumulating in the lungs.
    Billie could get excited just having or even knowing Lacey is there. As hard as it might be I would not allow them to be together even if Billie is leashed.
    In this situation I would also recommend that another sitter be found for Lacey. Not knowing the extent of Billie's recovery you should ask your Vet for advice and let that be the final word

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BudGirl8 Guest

Well, the vet was not so strenous in her warnings to me when I left with Billie...just said keep her quiet, no running or jumping around, just keep her mellow etc. I have been particularly careful since I have a 3 year old kiddo that really wants to play with her...but she's escaped me a few times and gone bounding down the stairs...scared the feck out of me...I almost cried.

We'll probably keep Lacey leashed too. I don't know what else to do at this point. Laura is in a bind. I don't want Billie to get sicker or hurt at all so if I have to crate her more I will. Not ideal but a few days of that wouldn't be any different than when I boarded her I guess.

I know other folks have done heartworm rehab with other dogs in the house so it can be done...I just want make sure I go about it right, you know? Short notice and all...

ETA: I'm calling the vet. If the doc says no go then I'll figure something else out. Might have to board Billie or something since she loves the vet...and I know they'll keep her quiet.

BudGirl8 Guest

Update - Lacey has a different spot to camp at for the week. My step dad passed away and I'm headed out of town for the funeral. I wasn't terribly comfortable with figuring out how to make it work anyway...and when I talked to the vet she didn't like it either. Thanks for the input everyone.