Took Buddy to vet UPDATE #2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took Buddy to vet UPDATE #2

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

DefaultTook Buddy to vet UPDATE #2

Got the results late this afternoon. Everything is normal. No idea where these blood spots are coming from. I started to feel better about it and later this evening found 2 more in places he spent some time today. I turned him upside-down, checked his pads, spread his toes. Nothing. I even got a white paper towel and wiped his butt. Nothing there either. It's a complete mystery.
    His staples come out Tuesday so if it continues, I guess I'll have to bring it up again.
    -----------------------------
    Got a sample at 2:30 PM. Brought it over to the vet and left it at the front desk. The receptionist said she didn't know if they were checking it on site or sending it out. 6PM haven't heard, so I guess it is going out. Meanwhile, he ate his dinner and drank. He's still on anti-inflammatories and antibiotics from the surgery and still has a couple of days left. I haven't noticed any more blood spotting but he has been laying on various dog beds that have printed covers so it's hard to see anything. Yesterday, he was on the white tile floor so it was quite obvious. Guess I won't hear anything further until tomorrow.
    --------------

It's exactly one week since the leg surgery. Yesterday afternoon, I discovered two blood spots in places where Buddy had spent some time. One was about the size of a silver dollar. The other was smaller, about the size of a nickel. I couldn't find a place on the back end of him that had any kind of cut, opening, oozing, etc. Everything looks good.
    Today he refused his breakfast. First time I can remember in 9 years! He took his meds in a squished piece of liverwurst since he got smart and now refused the cheese (all types) and everything else I tried.
    The vet examined him and said his leg looks absolutely awesome. They can't believe how well he is trying to use it. But the tip of his 'thing' doesn't look right and they want me to bring back a urine sample later. They think the bloody spots might have come out of it. He went right before we got inside so no amount of coaxing could make him go again while we were there.
    I will get one and return it to them but am when I asked what they think it will show, I was told his urine might have crystals in it. I tried to look up info on that but didn't learn much. They won't go into detail with me until they test the urine cause that may not be the problem. I did notice when he peed this morning that it looked a lot darker than it usually does. He didn't eat so therefore he hasn't taken in much water either. Any thought or experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Took Buddy to vet today

No experience with it, but I'm hoping he's ok.

Laura

Jeffrey's male cat had crystals in his urine which meant he had a UTI. He was put on anti biotics for 10 days and was fine after that.

I'm so glad to hear the vet was pleased with Buddy's progress! That's great news.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Hope he's OK.

I just went through something similar with one of my kitties, who was leaking and had blood in his urine, the vet initially thought crystals in his case as well. Blood in the urine could be from crystals, from stones, or from a bladder/urinary tract infection. Crystals are a bit difficult to deal with, generally you have to change the diet in order to get the chemistry back in balance. Kidney stones can be caused by a number of things and can be very (very, very) painful. A bladder / UTI is often the easiest to deal with, a course or two of antibiotics and some extra hydration will usually fix it. Turned out my Almond had an infection, they gave him fluids, anti-inflammatories and an initial high-dose antibiotic, and now that he's on a course of antibiotics, he's doing much better.

Sounds like the dark color means the urine was highly concentrated, which means he's not completely hydrated. If he's off food and water, that would be expected, and if his abdomen is painful (from any of the above causes), it could reduce his appetite. Hopefully, it will be straighforward to deal with. Poor Buddy, good thoughts coming your way.

Oh, and glad to hear the leg looks good.

Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Poor Buddy...get to feelin better soon! But I am glad his leg is healing well. Please let us know what they find hope. Hopefully it is an infection that can be cures easily.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Hope Buddy is OK

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Hope it's something really simple - glad the leg looks good!

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Pam I'm so happy Buddy making so good progress.
    Hope it's just an easy fixed infection in his urine. Sending good thoughts to him.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

BudGirl8 Guest

Glad the leg is good! Hope everything else turns out ok too.

pj

thanks for the update, glad to hear his leg looks awesome.
    hope the other issue is minor and he's feeling better soon.
    continued good thoughts going out to buddy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast