14 29.79%
  • Pinch

25 53.19%
  • Choke

8 17.02%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gentle leader vs Pinch vs Choke

DefaultGentle leader vs Pinch vs Choke

Last night I was talking to the trainer at Petsmart about restraining collars. I was telling her that I was having a hard time breaking Nala of pulling while on leash and since she is getting bigger she is becoming harder to handle. She said that Petsmart won't allow pinch or choke collars on in the training class but they will allow gentle leader. She said she thought the Pinch and the Gentle Leader both worked great but for Nala size the GL would be best. I am wondering what everyone else's opinions were on this.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Gentle leader vs Pinch vs Choke

I can't break Dakota of pulling on his regular collar..so for now..we use the Gentle Leader.
    Jackie

Have used GL's since 9 weeks, and have only had to go to the Prong once in the last 21 months. I only did that to change up things. They were getting used to the GL too much. They were able to pull me with their head sideways. Amazing creatures labs are. Now I have gone back to the GL since they have settled down in the pulling area some.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

See the OUR BEST ADVICE sticky in the Puppy/Training forum.

I saw I was just curious what everyone else was using. I am also curious as to how hard it is to wain them off of the gentle leader.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

I tried everything with Kody whose mission in life seemed to be to pull. Nothing worked except the Gentle Leader. The prong collar worked for a couple of walks, but he quickly became used to it. I admit that some of the problem was my lack of training experience, but much of it was a stubborn Lab.

The Gentle Leader was introduced to us by a personal trainer and after being instructed on it's use it was a great tool. I still use it occasionally to reinforce his leash walking, but he is mostly just on collar now. I have recommended it to several people and it has helped them all gain back control of their dogs.

ETA: As far as weaning them off of it goes, I started removing it when we were 3/4's of the way through a walk. If he walked well it would stay off the rest of the walk, if not then it went back on. I then slowly decreased the amount of time the GL was on until we didn't need it.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I use the GL Harness and it's worked great for us.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

I wont ever wean my boys off of it. It is hard walking 2 80 pound dogs on a regular collar. I don't have a need to wean them off. As few times as they are actually on a leash, it is fine.

Henry started out on a GL head halter... he now uses the Sense-ation harness (almost identical to the GL EasyWalk harness).

I use all three.

I have 8 dogs and they are all different. Some are and have always been on a flat buckle. Some started on a flat buckle and then went to a martingale and then to a gentle leader and then prong. Most are now either using a flat buckle or a martingale.

Each dogs is different and you need to try other methods. I look at it like steps, Flat Buckle, Martingale, Gentle leader then Prong. But the best suggestion is to go to an obedience class and learn how to properly use the collars and I would NOT suggest PetSmart.

Dayna

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast