Considering getting a second lab!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering getting a second lab!

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultConsidering getting a second lab!

Am I completely nuts and lost my mind? Actually, I keep seeing all these stories about labbies who needs homes. It is just Lexi and I, so I was thinking giving her a sibling might be the way to go.

I am still in the "considering, contemplating" stage, but if I do it, it would definitely be another rescue. Thinking a nice little yellow girl.

Those of you that have two, three or more of our furry companions, give me some idea of what it is like. Was it difficult to adjust to having 2 or more instead of one? Any pros or cons to it being the same gender as your existing one. I presently have Lexi around 3 years old and I rescued her just over two (2) years ago, so she is most definitely settled with me.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Considering getting a second lab!

Actually that's how I got Reggie. I kept hearing about dogs that need homes and felt I could handle one more. I think the Rescue did a good job of picking a dog for me. Reggie is submissive so there was no problem with him. Ranger is a bit of a dominant dog so it took him a little while to get used to Reg. He'll still try and put him in his place occasionally. I don't see this trait with Lexi at all.

Downside from going from 2 to 3. Being one person, I'm one hand short when it counts. Also, it was easier when I had one and even two, to find someone to watch them at their house rather than mine. Three is a bit much.

However, I wouldn't change a thing.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

I was very fortunate. I adopted Nora from a local vet (her current vet and proud God-Mother) when she was 5 months old. When she was 2 years old. her "God-Mother" made me aware of a 11 week old Lab w/broken leg that needed a home. I got to introduce them to see how they were together.....very well, thank you. Nora's maternal instincts kicked in and Nick came home with us. Nora really was a huge help in helping train Nick and get him to settle in.

Now I can't imagine not having both. .........sometimes in fits of insanity I toy with adopting a 3rd, especially when I see so many in need.
    Lexi should be able to let you know if its a good idea. How does she behave around other dogs?

Good luck & best wishes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nick_charles
    I was very fortunate. I adopted Nora from a local vet (her current vet and proud God-Mother) when she was 5 months old. When she was 2 years old. her "God-Mother" made me aware of a 11 weel old Lab w/broken leg that needed a home. I got to introduce them to see how they were together.....very well, thank you. Nora's maternal instincts kicked in and Nick came home with us. Nora really was a huge help in helping train Nick and get him to settle in.

Now I can't imagine not having both. .........sometimes in fits of insanity I toy with adopting a 3rd, especially when i se so many in need.
    Lexi should be able to let you know if its a good idea. How does she behave around other dogs?

Good luck & best wishes.
    Yes, she is good around other dogs. She tolerates my sister's Britany, quite well. He is constantly poking at her with his nose or trying to hump her, so far she has done nothing other than give him a short growl. My parents neighbor's have two Rottweilers, my neighbor has two Siberian Huskies and there was no issue with her & the crew at the Lab Fest last summer.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you both are ready to add another pup. Good luck

Well having recently gotten a second lab I'll tell you my experience the last month.
    -daily chores are not much different really I do the same things for both dogs at the same time (feeding, letting out to potty, walks)
    - MONEY is the big change 2x the food 2x the vet bills (not just for shots but other vet visits too Mocha's been twice since we got Zeus for infections from them playing so much).
    -You need to give them some individual time and I'm having trouble doing this as they want to be together and Mocha's very attached to me so she always wants to be with me. I'm working on Zeus's obedience and it's hard to get him alone to work outside of class.
    -Transportation - I have a Corolla and it's not really big enough for them both to ride in. Although we've done and it will have to make it work until we can get a bigger vehicle it's not real safe since I can't see very well and they are very distracting.
    -I love having them both though they keep each other occupied and get along great. I think I would go female and male instead of 2 females or 2 males but that's just me I've head of a lot of times having 2 of the same sex butting heads but I know a lot of people who do and have no problems.
    -As someone else mentioned it's much easier to find someone to watch 1 dog if you go out of town than 2 but it's still doable if you have someone reliable.
    Good luck with your decision.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

We would have another Lab in a heartbeat, if we were in our own place and had a fenced yard. We have to put Buddy on a tie-out and there's just no way that arrangement would work with two dogs.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

We've been contemplating the same thing for the last few months and for the same reasons. Dani's post about Axle pretty much ripped my heart out and I find myself thinking about him and all the others out there like him almost daily.

Great thread and I look forward to reading more peoples comments on this.

Sounds like she's ready! Keep us posted.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

The only negative is the doubled cost of everything, although that is a price I gladly pay. In every other way, having two dogs is all pluses!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast