Withers? and illustration..?

Thread: Withers? and illustration..?

DefaultWithers? and illustration..?

Ok..I did a google search looking for a picture of exactly where and how to measure the height of a dog at the withers. I know it's just about above the shoulders below the neck..but do you go level with the top of the dog at that point? I'm getting around 22" for Dakota, he's just over 6 months, or 27 weeks.
    Does anyone have an illustration of where exactly to measure????
    Jackie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Withers? and illustration..?

The highest point on a dog behind the neck, typically the point of the shoulder blades.

Laura

You can make a wicket out of pvc or use an L bracket on a yardstick. Official measurements (for agility) are done with a carefully calibrated measuring device and a certified measuring judge. You just need a best guess so don't worry so much about being EXACT.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

A few year ago Laura composed a wonderful series on conformation at this board. I am so glad I printed each and every one of her lessons and put them in a reference binder. It has been invaluable to me.

Must say... I like the dingo looking doggie she used for this "withers" thread. Illustrates the "points" of a dog very well.

Seamus and Flynn

labbie2 is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the illustration; it was most helpful.

Thanks to all..Laura..especially..your diagram was very helpful. I measured Dakota and he's around 22"s at the withers..more or less..he was not standing still for me..had to find out what the tape measurer was.
    Thanks again everybody... Jackie

labby is offline Senior Member

How I suggest you measure is put the dog up next to a wall. Set the dog up so its square and both front legs are straight and under the dog. Then mark the wall with a pencil on the dog's withers. Then take a tape measure and measure from the floor to the mark on the wall. You'll be pretty close to the actual height of the dog and its a lot easier to do than try to keep the dog still while you measure it.

Laura

Great idea Laura..thank you..I tried marking him on my leg..holding the spot and measuring..but.......
    I'll definately try your suggestion...I'm just curious..it's fun watching their progress..and so I appreciate your help.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    How I suggest you measure is put the dog up next to a wall. Set the dog up so its square and both front legs are straight and under the dog. Then mark the wall with a pencil on the dog's withers. Then take a tape measure and measure from the floor to the mark on the wall. You'll be pretty close to the actual height of the dog and its a lot easier to do than try to keep the dog still while you measure it.