Question about calluses, joints, and crate pads.

Thread: Question about calluses, joints, and crate pads.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about calluses, joints, and crate pads.

Brigetta has developed what looks like a callus on her elbow. I'm assuming she got it from laying in her crate without a pad. I don't put a blanket or pad in her crate because I'm afraid she'll eat it. She'll start by chewing the corners, or ripping the blanket. I did a search and saw that others also have calluses, but I'm also worried about any health risks to her joints. She spends two days a week in her crate while I'm at work and minimal time, if any, in the crate on the weekends.

- Can anyone suggest a durable crate pad?
    - Is it safe for her joints, bone growth, etc. to be in her crate without a pad?
    - Or don't worry about it, she's fine.

Thanks!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about calluses, joints, and crate pads.

Don't worry about it she's fine. The calluses are normal and develop from them laying down as they go down and get up with their elbows. Kody has never had any pads or blankets in his crate and is just fine (6 years old). He actually prefers just the plastic liner tray in the summer as it is cool to lay on. 8)

I put Rocket in a kennel for one night in mid-May and he came home with raw spots on both front elbows. Her skin is just pink. Is that what a callus looks like?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Many dogs get worn fur on their pressure points. Elbows, back legs. It's common, and it's not because your dog didn't have a pad. I used to hear that it happened on outside dogs who laid all day on concrete, but my pampered pooches get them from laying on the carpet.

I wouldn't worry and I wouldn't change a thing you are doing. Dogs lay on the floor all the time, they don't need a crate pad to protect their joints.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks...I feel better.

Mich- Brigetta's is a little pink, it's not really raw, and there is no hair growth in the area.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

Thor had one on his elbow too and he was always without a pad in his crate. No worries! I think I posted a long time ago about it and someone mentioned getting a cream used for breastfeeding mothers to put on it if you wanted to.