POLL: When does your Lab bark?

View Poll Results: When does your Lab bark?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • when there's a knock, bell, or noise at the front door when someone's home

28 43.08%
  • I've knocked, etc., on the door when no one's home and my Lab barks as in the first case

13 20.00%
  • I've knocked, etc., on the door when no one's home and my Lab DOES NOT bark !!!

15 23.08%
  • I have more than one Lab and they react differently (please explain)

4 6.15%
  • In addition to a Lab, there are also other breeds/mixes that may trigger barking

5 7.69%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: When does your Lab bark?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultPOLL: When does your Lab bark?

I'm curious about Labs' warning or territorial barks in a specific situation:

With my first Lab, Bess, she always barked when she saw the postman leave mail at the front door. One day I apologized to him for her barking and he said, "I always know when someone's at home because those are the only times she barks."

When Puff hears the postperson drop mail in the mailbox beside our front door, it's like WW-3 breaking out -- rushing to the door with sustained loud barking. (She does this also whenever she hears a knock at the door.)

But I remembered what the postman had said about Bess.

So, out of curiosity, several mornings when I've come back from my exercise class and I see the mail has not yet been delivered, I've rattled the mailbox or knocked on the door -- and heard nothing but silence from inside. I open the front door, enter, and maybe 5 seconds later see Puff silently coming out of our bedroom to greet me, wagging her tail.

I talked today with 2 neighbors, both have a Lab. They said they're sure their Labs bark whenever someone's at the door.

But do they do that when no one's home? I asked them to do the knock on the door test when no one is home.

And that's what this poll seeks to test out.

But before voting, please test your Lab when you're sure no one is at home -- knock on the door or ring the doorbell, or whatever, and listen. Then record your experience.

I'm sure there are many dogs that bark whenever they hear a noise outside even when no one's home.

I'm curious about the percentage among Labs.

(It could be helpful -- if your Lab is a rescue or mix or for any reason you're not sure whether s/he is a full blooded Lab if you'd add a note to that effect and say which way your Lab reacted. I suspect a higher proportion of mixes bark when no one's home than AKC/etc. Labs do)

Thanks

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When does your Lab bark?

Apollo is a mix (lab parent and lab mix parent) he NEVER barks. Knocks at the door and door bells do not trigger any barking. He NEVER EVER barks, unless hes is in his crate for too long and wants out. If apollo is barking and he's out of his crate, I KNOW something is funky and I get nervous.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

DefaultRe: POLL: When does your Lab bark?

Gabby only barks at the cat. That's it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henry barks at the doorbell when I'm home... I'll have to test him tomorrow and see what he does when I'm not home! Interesting, Bob!

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

I just removed my vote. I didn't really understand the question and gave the wrong answer. I will have to check this tomorrow. Sam does bark if you knock on the wall or counter in front of her.

Oddly this only seems to work at our house. I told my cousin about this quirky habit when we were at his house and teh first time Sam ran barking to the door. The second time she just stared at him.

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

Kona only barks if she's confused.If the doorbell rings-or if someone comes up the driveway, she gets excited and runs around. Only exception is if Sam is particulary riled up and barking, Kona will sometimes join in. It's funny.

Sam barks a lot. He's a vocal boy. He barks at anyone he doesn't know who comes up the driveway, rings the doorbell or knocks on the door. He barks when he's really excited, barks when you're playing with him etc etc.
    Of course he's got different barks for each situation.

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Wasnt sure how to answer, Sammi after not barking the first 13 months of her life. Except the one time a stranger tried to get into our house and DD was home alone, Sammi was only 8 months old, went balistic and scared the guy off! But on to the question, Sammi recently has started barking(age 16 months) and I am working hard with her everyday to curb this knew game - If she see's another dog and cant get to them to play, like in the car, the fence line or our front window, she will bark. If she is out with me, on lead, or at the dog bark, she does not bark ever. As far as the door goes, she may or may not bark. If its someone she knows no bark, if its a stranger to her, she will bark. I just dont understand how she can possibly know from a knock on the door :.

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

Bob, is there a difference when a stranger knocks on the door as opposed to you?

I can't quite work out the barking patterns in my two. I think they only bark at what they can see. Neither of them bark at the doorbell when I am home, but they do both rush to the front door, usually before the bell rings. If they are standing on the balcony, they will bark at passing people, dogs and cats. They do not usually bark if the house is empty and they see me approaching, although they have done so once or twice when it's dark (I think they're not sure it's me then maybe). The barking is never ongoing, usually two or three woofs and they quiet down again.

Finley (1yo male) is more vocal than Kira (4yo female).

When he hears ants move, when he's bored, when the wind ruffles the trees, when the neighbors close their car doors, when people come to the door, when I come to the door.....do I need to keep going? If barking, woofing, "dog talking" in general were an Olympic event, Dexter would definitely bring home the gold. ;D

Cinnamon doesn't bark she is to busy sleeping or watching the Disney channel.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast