Stairs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stairs

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultStairs

Tal will be 11 months by the time we settle into our new house. The house has a basement and will he be ok going up and down the stairs? He likes being with me and the laundry room is down in the basement. The stairs are not steep at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Stairs

He should be fine. We have a 2 story house with a basement and we lived in an apartment on the 2nd floor when we first got Maggie. It is a good idea to carry your dog up and down stairs until they get too big and become a safety risk for yourself. Finn has been going up and down the stairs for almost 2 months now (he is 5.5 months old)we just make him go slow. Maggie has been going up and down the stairs at the house since we moved in right before her first birthday. BTW both of our dogs love having the basement (as do we) to run around and get crazy when the weather is bad outside. Good luck with your move.

Tal should be just fine! Henry has always lived in 2-storey houses (until our present house) and did fine with the stairs. I did the same as maggiesparents and carried him up and down until he got too heavy to do so, but Tal is much older and will be fine!

I have an unfinished basement in my present house, and the stairs are super-steep (the house is 120 yrs old) and "open" but that doesn't stop Henry from going up and down them. I don't let him often, but sometimes he sneaks by.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

My girl is 16 weeks and has been doing them for a couple weeks now. If your dog is not use to them there may be some issues and not wanting to use them at first.

I refused to carry my girl down the steps. Eventually she got so where she hated being the only one upstairs and made the adventure on her own.
    Kim

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Just one suggestion: If your steps are bare wood, or anything that may be slippery, apply nonskid tape or cover with non skid mats.

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    Just one suggestion: If your steps are bare wood, or anything that may be slippery, apply nonskid tape or cover with non skid mats.
    This is a very good suggestion- if not for Tal, for you! Labs love to play "race you to the bottom" on stairs and you invariably end up with a lab between your legs, or crashing into the back of your legs or something equally dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    This is a very good suggestion- if not for Tal, for you! Labs love to play "race you to the bottom" on stairs and you invariably end up with a lab between your legs, or crashing into the back of your legs or something equally dramatic.
    Good idea. I can see it now...I am carrying the laundry basket down to wash clothes, Tal is chasing Midnight and we all tumble down in a heap at the bottom...

I don't think Tal will have any problems with the stairs. There is a little two step drop into kitchen here and three steps out the back door. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they should not be allowed to go up and down stairs consistently until they are a certain age. I figured he had passed that age but just wanted to make sure!

Thanks!

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I had some labs who did not like open riser stairs or open sided stairs. Please make sure the stair treads have a carpet or mat on them. Bare wood causes them to slip too easily.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Quote Originally Posted by labs4life
    I had some labs who did not like open riser stairs or open sided stairs. Please make sure the stair treads have a carpet or mat on them. Bare wood causes them to slip too easily.
    I think they are concrete but I know they are not wood. A non-skid rug should do the trick. That will be my first order of business once I move in!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I agree that Tal should be fine. Brigetta does fine on the stairs, but they are carpeted. The biggest thing I have to worry about is when the dogs are running down the stairs after each other while I'm on them!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast