Controlled Growth Formula

Thread: Controlled Growth Formula

DefaultControlled Growth Formula

Marlan has always been fed Nutro Natural Choice LB Puppy - Lamb and Rice, which is a controlled growth formula. He has always done well on it and we haven't had any concerns.

Shortly after the food ban, the store was all out of LB so we bought a bag of Regular Nutro Puppy Food instead and Marlan ate it with no problems.

But... we noticed that Marlan seems to have grown taller??? He's about 2 inches taller!!

We know he should still be filling out, so this could be a coincidence. But, is it possible that the controllged growth formula regulated his growth to the extent that we noticed a major change over one monthe when he wasn't eating it?

BTW - we switched back to his original food. He's almost 11 months old and weighs about 80 lbs. Prior to the switch he was 25 inches at the withers and now he's 27.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Controlled Growth Formula

I highly doubt that the food had any affect on his height, but are you sure you're measuring correctly...27 is really tall for a lab. At 11 months, I'd put him on a regular adult food.

Yes I am definitely measuring right. All I know is that he was 25 before (the max size for a show quality male) and then within a month on the new food he sprouted another two.

I don't know about anyone else but I have noticed a large increase in the number of huge labs around. In fact, lots of non-lab owners think labs are huge dogs. Perhaps it has to do with the food they eat......

I was under the impression that switching food was a subjective decision. Other posts I have read do not specify an exact age at which you should change.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

How big were his parents??

Quote Originally Posted by MarlansMum
    I don't know about anyone else but I have noticed a large increase in the number of huge labs around. In fact, lots of non-lab owners think labs are huge dogs.
    This is probably due to the fact that the majority of labs out there are produced with no regaurd to the standard. If you've ever come across a stud advertisement online (and sadly there are MANY sites that cater to bybs), the big "sellng point" most use is something like huge, big, large stud etc... Nothing to due with what they eat

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I doubt it is the food.
    And trust me, unless your a pro at measuring a dog, I doubt your measurement was dead accurate.
    I measured my puppy three times the other day and got something different each time! LOL

My male is big, about 24 at the shoulder. That is still in standard but pretty big IMO. I cannot imagine a 11 mo old at 27in. I have seen Labs that big, but not that age.
    Kim

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I doubt it's the food too. Grace was on regular puppy food and regular adult food at 4 months, and she is perfect height for the standard.

Chances are that you have a pet bred lab, where breeders in his line were not very conscientious about breeding dogs that fell within the lab standards.

Now I have a friend who does have a 27" adult male lab. This dog looks like a Great Dane in a lab suit. Are you sure you are measuring feet to withers, and not feet to head?

Hehe

Sorry, yes, I was measuring wrong. He's only roughly 23 inches at the withers.

I don't know what pet bred means, but I got Marlan from a breeder. His dad was a pretty big field type lab bred for hunting ability. His mom was a petite bench type lab with show qualities. Guess that's why he's kinda biggish.

Thanks for your patience!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If your breeder didn't actively show her dogs in dog shows or put her dogs in hunt tests or obedience competitions, only had the dogs as pets....they are producing PET bred puppies. It doesn't matter about the lines. My Maddy has hunting champions and even a conformation CH in her lines, but she is definately a pet bred lab. Fortunately she has the smarts and we are working her now, but she is spayed.

Yep, Marlan is pet bred. Didn't know much about buying pups when we got him. Wouldn't send him back now though! Big or small, I'm in love.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Whatever he is, he's pretty! ;D ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!