Have you taken your Lab to a chiropractor?

Thread: Have you taken your Lab to a chiropractor?

DefaultHave you taken your Lab to a chiropractor?

I'm looking for input from fellow Lab lovers!

I recently took Gunny (my choc girl) to the vet...I was seeing limping, bunny hopping, and general "hunchiness" after waking up. I feared hip/knee issues. Following a slew of xrays, her hips and knees are in great condition (yay!), but she has a compression between her last vertebrae and whatever bone that her spine connects into down near her tail. So Gunny is enduring 3 weeks of restricted activity, and anti-inflammatory/pain meds. Since we live in the mtns, we never leash the dogs on hikes - so 3 weeks of leash-life is not sitting well with Gunny. Oh, well.

We're following our vet's instructions, but have also made an appt with a veterinary chiropractor in town.

Curious if any of you have gone this route? If so - what have your experiences been?

Many thanks for sharing your expertise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Have you taken your Lab to a chiropractor?

I did. She specializes in chiropractic and accupuncture. Buddy has had both knees done. The most recent was last Thursday. But prior to both those injuries, he had trouble with his back. He ran into the side of a moving car in 2001. He seemed fine at the time but later on when the knees started having problems, they xrayed him and I was told he has herniated discs. Ours lie horizontally but his are vertical. So when his head slammed into the car, a few got pushed closer together.
    He had a few adjustments and a couple of accupuncture treatments. He even went into her underwater treadmill in spite of his fear of water.
    She taught me to massage his back and apply warm compresses when he has any discomfort. I can't afford the repeat visits or I would definitely be there every week.
    I saw some very crippled dogs there and on subsequent visits, they walked out on their own.
    Good luck.

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

Not done it myself but my own chiropractor is a dog lover and she goes to the vet office near here and adjusts dogs every once in a while. I've talked to her about it and would definitely do it if I had that need.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I did! Gabby was diagnosed with HD by our regular vet- long story- but turned out to be a major misdiagnosis.

Gabby at 9 months was three legged lame after a 6 block walk. We tried the chiropractor and she found that Gabby had slipped two discs out of place while playing- she adjusted Gabby 2-3 times and everything is totally fine.

Thanks for your input! We're hoping an adjustment or two will get Gunny moving again...

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

A lady I know has done it with her Sheltie (who is an agility dog) and she said it made a big difference in the dog. This was not a young dog either, but still running agility. She is prolly 10 years old?? Retired from agility this year. There are a few agility folks my way who do it. THere is a traveling equine & dog chiro doc that is up once a month.
    Kim

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

I did. Our regular vet does this as well as regular veterinary stuff.

Sam put her back out a few months ago. She was moaning couldn't get comfortable and her back legs were shivering. We almost took her to the 24 hour vet, but when we got there Sam jumped out, went for a walk did her business and seemed fine. In the morning she hadn't improved much, so we took her into Linda who diagnosed her problem and re-aligned her back. Sam is fine now.

Sam loves Linda. She's a great vet.

Murray sees a kinesiologist but she's about 3 1/2 hrs away so he doesn't get to see her as regularly as I would like. Many of the agility people out here use chiropractors or physical therapists (we have an awesome PT in my town).