More injuries with more than one dog?

Thread: More injuries with more than one dog?

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultMore injuries with more than one dog?

We've had Zeus right at a month now and I've had to take Mocha to the vet twice sort of from him. I'm not blaming him by any means for the necesity of the visits but I wonder do those of you with multiple dogs see injuries or infections that are caused from the other dogs?

First was a yeast and bacterial infection under/behind her ears from them playing bitey face so much they stayed wet. After 2 weeks of antibiotics, 10 days of steroids, and 5 days of antihistime and lots of mini baths to wash the area with antibacterial shampoo it's all cleared up and the hair is starting to grow back. Now she's got a sore and infected spot next to her eye that I suspect may have been a puncture from playing all the time.

Will they ever stop playing bitey face constantly when they are together?
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: More injuries with more than one dog?

Will they ever stop playing bitey face constantly when they are together?
    Ours isn't constant Barb, but it happens moreso when one or both has too much energy (if we can't give them their 3 walks a day!).

I've been meaning to ask you. What did you end up doing about feeding time, and how is it working out?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

It's working out great actually I think Mocha just needed to adjust. I've been feeding them next to each other in the kitchen like before (well their bowls are maybe 3' apart on opposite sides of the table). Mocha doens't bother him now as long as I'm in the room. I think if I would leave the room she would try to get some of his food as she kind of hovers a few feet away until he's done to lick his bowl. He doens't seem to care though and I make sure she isn't right in his face when he's eating. She still gets pretty growly when she's got a bone or kong but I really can't tell if she's playing or wanting to be left alone. She's never snapped just kind of growls but her tail is wagging slowly and she keeps following him around growling the whole time shoving it in his face ??? I just try to watch them and make sure it stays friendly.

Overall Zeus is a GREAT dog we're working on his obedience and he's finally starting to pick up after a slow start. He's much more mellow than Mocha ever has been and she's 1 1/2 years older. They get along really well I'm glad we were able to take him in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I'm glad we were able to take him in.
    Me, too! Sounds like everything is falling into place.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

It is I just hope we can cut out some of these injuries. I expected extra vet bills for monthly preventatives and shots and stuff but not all these injuries. Luckiy they are not major but it still adds up and I hate to see Mocha hurt/having infections.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

No additional injuries to either dog with two. But to me? Different story. With two nutcases romping around, ramming into me and leaving toys everywhere, my level of bruising, bumps, trips, and twists have increased noticably!
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

lol I've had that too especially when I had to keep Mocha's E-collar on when her ears where infected man she killed my legs with that thing