Not eating

Thread: Not eating

DefaultNot eating

Dale 15 months and weighs 65 pounds -- bill of health at last checkup. Last few days he doesnt want to eat everything in his bowl. Ive been giving him 2 cups in the a.m. and 2 cups at dinner. He hasnt finished a meal the last couple days or so. Should he still be getting that much? When can I switch him to a once a day meal and how much at that one time do I give him?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Not eating

You might cut him back to three cups, but I wouldn't go to feeding him once a day. After cancer, bloat is the # 1 killer of large chested dogs. One of the ways to avoid bloat is to feed them smaller amounts more often. Oona is fed 4 times a day, 3/4 of a cup per feeding.
    Olie

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

What food are you feeding and how many kcals/cup does it have? (If it is not labeled on the bag, call the 800 customer service # and ask them -- they should be able to answer you instantly.)

It sounds like you're feeding an awful lot.

My Puff usually gets 1 1/4 cups 2X/day (362 kcals/cup) and she gets one hour/2+ miles of off-leash retrieving and exploring every morning plus often swimming and late afternoon retrieving (3-5X to facilitate pooping).

Looking forward to your reply.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would stick to the 2 meals..absolutely for the reason mentioned above.
    4 cups might be too much for him at this point. Try 1 and 1/2 twice a day and see how it goes.
    Youre sure you didnt get a bad bag of food, right? Something that does happen and they know better than we do.

Kibble does go bad even though we cannot smell it they can. I would get a new bag of food. Also Cinnamon is a self regulator and won't over eat your guy might just be telling you he is full.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't think 4 cups is too much (my dogs get roughly 3-4 cups of good quality food per day) providing the dog is active. I do think, however, that 4 cups of a high quality food (premium brands such as Innova, Timberwolf, etc.) may be too much. So on that note, I agree with the others who have suggested that you cut back a little. Assuming you are feeding a reasonably good quality food and your dog is of average activity, 3 cups per day should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    What food are you feeding and how many kcals/cup does it have? (If it is not labeled on the bag, call the 800 customer service # and ask them -- they should be able to answer you instantly.)

It sounds like you're feeding an awful lot.

My Puff usually gets 1 1/4 cups 2X/day (362 kcals/cup) and she gets one hour/2+ miles of off-leash retrieving and exploring every morning plus often swimming and late afternoon retrieving (3-5X to facilitate pooping).

Looking forward to your reply.

We're still giving him Purina One large breed puppy formula.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would think about switching to a better quality food. If you want to stick with Purina, ProPlan would be my choice over ONE.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta went through something similar recently. I think it was a combination of the change in weather and her not needing as much to eat. I cut her food back by 1/4 cup each meal, and she has been eating better. I would stick to two meal a day though.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I think I would cut back as well. My Tal is almost 11 months and is about 80 lbs. I feed him 3 cups a day in 4 3/4 servings. He is very active and he also will eat no more after he is full. I use IAMS LB puppy food and plan on switching him to ProPlan in late summer.