*sigh* Tatum got her first scolding...

Thread: *sigh* Tatum got her first scolding...

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Default*sigh* Tatum got her first scolding...

I hated to do it, but I had to.

I walked into the living room to find her pooping on the floor! This is the third time in the year we have had her that she has done this, but the first time I've caught her in the act. I had to scold her and haul her outside. She seems unfazed by her scolding, however, am I am glad that we have a strong enough relationship that she didn't get traumatized. I couldn't NOT scold her, because she saw me see her doing it, and I didn't want to send the message that I approved by doing nothing.

It's my fault; I haven't come up with a good way for her to communicate her need to go out. Usually, Jacob or Aly need to go out and she takes care of her business when J or A demand to. But, on some occasions, she obviously needs to go before J or A ask to. She doesn't have a good way of telling me. Usually I can pick it up in her body language, but today I missed it. So, I caught her in mid poop and told her "bad dog! No poop!" and brought her straight outside. I always every time praise her when she poops outside, so hopefully I made myself even more clear today.

Maybe bells would work. I don't know. J and A both are able to tell me when they need to go. Jacob stares me down in a certain way, and Aly points to her butt (LOL it is very funny, and I don't know how she came up with this!). Tatum paces when she needs to go, but sometimes she just paces for the hell of it, so I miss her message.

I know I am rambling.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: *sigh* Tatum got her first scolding...

Bells worked wonders for our household...sometimes, it is just about finding the best way of communicating with them (or vice-versa).

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultRe: *sigh* Tatum got her first scolding...

oohhh Jenn I know that must've been hard for you to do, especially with her history.

Try the bells. She's a smart girl. Bet the other two find it amusing as well.