The strange power of the right accessory
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The strange power of the right accessory

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe strange power of the right accessory

Puff made a hit yesterday.

This last weekend, Washburn University was holding its annual Mulvane Art Show, a juried event in which artists from many states in the midwest region show (and offer to sell) some form of visual art -- photography, pen & ink, pastels, oils/acrylics, digital painting, glass, ceramics, mobiles, wood, sculpture, embroidery, jewelry, u-name-it -- plus there were free concerts and food vendors (not free).

I have a friend who blows glass who was showing so I broke off working on my sailboat to go. I was wearing a broad brimmed hat to protect against the sun and, as Puff and I were getting out of the car to go in, noticed that my spare twin hat was also there. So I impulsively put it on Puff, tightening the lanyard under her chin enough so it stayed in the right place over half the time, snapped the leash to her Easy-Walk harness, and we entered -- $5 for me, free for Puff.

There were a surprising number of other leashed dogs there -- maybe 2% to 4% of the crowd -- but that made 20-40 dogs, several poodles, Dachshunds, lots of small dogs, but no other Labs.

Whenever Puff was seen, people smiled and nudged their companions, pointed, ooh-ed and ahh-ed, and some asked if they could pet Puff. I found myself mumbling, "She's the sequel to 'The Cat in the Hat.'" Many took pictures. Puff was very tolerant of wearing it and only tried to paw it off when the soft brim flopped down so much she couldn't see where she was going. Her insouciance maybe fueled a misimpression by many that Puff habitually wore a hat (as if she said, "I don't go anywhere without it" rather than this being an only time impulse by me).

While Puff and I were sitting on a bench visiting with my friend, a woman about 40 feet away was trying to unobtrusively take many pictures -- or vid clips? --of us (or probably just Puff) from many angles as if we were Martians and her friends would never believe her without the proof.

Ahh! the strange power of the right accessory -- with the unself-conscious panache to carry it off.

And it doesn't even have to be Gucci or Prada!

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: The strange power of the right accessory

Awww.. cute story. It's amazing how much attention they get I love being out with Zeus he's great around everyone Mocha's a little iffy some days she's great others she barks at everything.

Bob, I wonder what magazine or internet site Puff's pics will show up on? lol

Did YOU get any pics? I'd love to see them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Puff is such a good girl - I don't think mine would have been so good about the hat.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Yeah.... Where's the pics?? Hmmmph...

Cute but where's the picture of the dashing duo? ;D

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I can only imagine what she looked like in the hat...... where's the pics ? It sounds like it was a very nice time !

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Sorry -- I didn't bring a camera.

BUT, if you want to use your imagination a little, look at

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/747182

The hats we have are very similar (but not identical) to this. The brim is soft and easily molded (although it doesn't as easily keep the shape it's molded into).

================================================== ==

For pix of Puff and me and the nature preserve we walk in, see

http://puffbobpr.shutterfly.com

Password is PuffPr
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

I would have loved to see a pix too.

AWESOME pics, Bob! Thanks so much for sharing those. That place is like Winter Wonderland! omgosh...so beautiful. Puff is a lucky gal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast