Vestibular disease-Apollo, Mom's lab

Thread: Vestibular disease-Apollo, Mom's lab

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultVestibular disease-Apollo, Mom's lab

Hey yall,

OMG... I'm actually posting a lab related question.. and in LabChat! Haven't been in here for a while.

Apollo, my mom's 6 yr old black lab, was recently diagnosed with Vestibular Disease. They found him one afternoon lying on the floor, unable to get up and having pee'd on the carpet underneath him. Poor guy, they took him to the vet who ruled out stroke and other stuff with blood tests. Gave him some anti-dizzyness meds for 7 days.

He was doing a lot better by the third day of medication (family screwed up the dosage on the first day poor guy, gave him half by accident)... aparently they just wait and see if it happens again and treat it the same way. Vet said it wasn't uncommon. (I dunno if he meant for dog's apollo's age or labs or what)

Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice?

Here is Apollo... been a while since I posted a picture of him.
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Vestibular disease-Apollo, Mom's lab

I don't have any experience with that Linds...just wanted to say I hope he is going to be ok. Love that face of his. :-*

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

We used to see it a fair amount where I worked. It isn't uncommon in older dogs at all. Seems as though no one really knows for sure why it starts or why it starts, but it usually resolves just fine. It can be ca scary thing to see though! This web site, I read when we first saw it in an older bearded collie:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...r_disease.html

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

Hey,

We went through this a few times with our old Llasa apsos when I was a kid. It's fairly common in Goldens and Labradors as well. He will improve over the next few days and weeks - the nystagmus and associated dizziness will go away while the head tilt will remain to some degree. He may get it again - the onset is sudden. If it comes back they typically don't recover quite as well. One of my little dogs recovered completely from the first bout, almost from the second a few years later and then the third time she kept the head tilt.

Oh and a way to realize what he is going through is think if you sat on a stool and I spun you around for five minutes and then you got up - your eyes would be bouncing (nystagmus) and you would be so dizzy.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks yall...

Yeah Sharon, Mom said he looked like he didn't know what way was down and he looked scared.

I hope it's just a one time deal... vet said mom could take him to a neurological vet... but my family is not the type to spend money they really cannot afford to on things like that.
    ~Lindsay

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Poor boy. I really hope he recovers quickly. Good thoughts for him.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Hi. I am a longtime lurker.

I have no experience with dogs with vestibular problems. Apollo has my sympathies. I have been suffering from vertigo since last July.

Karla

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

My older dachshund mix, Prudence has Vestibular Disease. I think it was almost two years ago when she was diagnosed as having had a stroke, she suffered another one not long after and was left with a permanent head tilt. Then about two months ago she had very similar symptoms- dizziness, wobbling, etc. I assumed it was another stroke, but my vet diagnosed her with Vestibular Disease. She had an inner ear infection and was put on meds. It took her almost two weeks for her to recover. Her walk is slightly off, but that's about it.
    I always make sure she is crated when I'm not home now because if it happens again she could fall of the bed, etc.
    Good thoughts for Apollo.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence