Dog Runs - Show me yours???

Thread: Dog Runs - Show me yours???

DefaultDog Runs - Show me yours???

Hi All,

I'm considering adding a dog run to my yard and I need ideas from others who have a run. I currently have a large fenced in yard with a pond which my 2 labs swim in almost every day.

For the times when I don't want them wet, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to add a separate dog run that would be small but only used for pottying occasionally.

Anyone care to share pictures of their dog run so I can get ideas of what mind could look like?

TIA - Jaime

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Dog Runs - Show me yours???

Hi Jaime! Having a dog run to keep out of the water when you need to is a great idea! I will take some pics tomorrow and post them for you ~ It's too dark right now!

Here's mine. It is 10' x 20'. The cover is one of those car ports that can be bought at a Menards or similiar store.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't know how "elaborate" you want to get, but I saw in a magazine just today a man who designed his dog run as a garden! It's REALLY cool!!!! Let me go get the book....

Okay - I'm back! It's the April 2007 issue of Cottage Living. On page 55 there's an article titled Cottage Gardener. The article starts with the quote, "I start my day by seeing what's new in the garden".

The author and creator of the garden is Guillermo Castellanos of Evanston, Illinois and he has 2 border collies. Smaller than our children - but still a cool idea!

Happy Creating!

Thanks for the pic Karen - very nice and secure looking area you have created.

Turtleheadfred - Thanks for the info. My sis gets that magazine so I'll have to see if she still has her copy.

To clarify, I was thinking of trying to setup something that is attached to the house so I can use a doggy door or human door for entry/exit.

Does anyone know if the floor could be something like pea gravel for easy maintenance/cleanup? My guys have always went potty on grass but it seems like they could adapt easily.

Does anyone utilize a doggy door for entry/exit into a run? If so would you be willing to share your setup? I know there has to be lots of ideas put to use out there!

Actually, we took out two windows, bricked up the extra space and installed a french-style door from our office out onto a back patio area. It opens into the back of our house - and a large area we've fenced in (not the WHOLE yard which is REALLY big) just for the babies! It's got a covered area with an oversized house, concrete, a ceiling fan and water, plus all they have to do is go up the stone steps (it's how our land is) and they're in the grass of the back yard and part of the garden! There are plenty of trees, and it lets me "let them out" without having to actually walk outside with them every time they need out. It also allows me to let them play outside if I need to go away for long periods of time. They LOVE it!