Stairs - Up and Down

Thread: Stairs - Up and Down

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

DefaultStairs - Up and Down

Dozer's crate is in the family room, which is in the basement level in the house. It's the best (and only) place for it, so moving it isn't an option. There are stairs, obviously, to and from the basement. Dozer will do the deck stairs and has gone up a couple of the basement stairs on his own four feet but he won't go all the way up and forget about coming down. What's the best way to train him to do the stairs? He's getting too heavy for me to lift and he's big enough he can walk up and down the stairs (supervised) safely.

Last night dh and I were commenting on how Dozer is starting to fill out his crate. When we first put him in there he could lay out at one end and not be curled around at all, but now he lays at the end and his head has to curl around the corner. He is growing so fast it's like putting miracle grow on a dandilion!!
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Lead him up and down a few times and he will find his way eventually

Dogs don't like open risers or slippery stairs! If you have either then consider putting an old carpet down them to close the riser and to stop him from slipping !

Once that you have done that then leave him alone in the basement and he will soon find his way upstairs and also the reverse !

It won't take long before you can't stop him from charging up and down !

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

They are carpeted and closed. He puts the brakes on as soon as we try to get him to come up. I know he'll get them eventually, but I'd wager he's 24 lbs now and growing fast, and I'd like to save my back. LOL
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Try putting a small treat on each step. Like a trail of breadcrumbs. Then you go up and leave him downstairs by himself.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    Try putting a small treat on each step. Like a trail of breadcrumbs. Then you go up and leave him downstairs by himself.
    That's how we got Bauer to go up. He wouldn't come down for the longest time, and then one day I left him upstairs and he came down on his own.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.