Does your lab do this?

Thread: Does your lab do this?

DefaultDoes your lab do this?

Just wondering...
    We've noticed that when Violet comes to us for head rubbin' and we rub the sides of her her face she almost inevitably yawns. I'm thinking maybe this is a reflex like when you find their 'puppy spot' and the back leg shakes, but I've never heard anyone mention it.

Anybody else seen this???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Does your lab do this?

My son's 6 year old lab doesn't come to have his head petted. He comes to have his ear rubbed. If I rub one side, he presses his head so hard against my hand it is hard tohold position. It doesn't matter which side. If I do both sides together, I get the moaning noise. Every time. It is like a climatic moan. I think the dogs are telling us they like it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

I haven't really tried it with Sam, but with my brother's dog, if you scratch behind both ears at the same time (one handed) she yawns. Nope didn't work with Sam just now, but she's busy with her rawhide.

Sam likes to get her muzzle rubbed. Sam does the moaning when you rub her ears.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

All of mine LOVE the ear rub... but the Great Danes next door love it most! I swear I wish they'd left the girl's ears alone! The boy has had SO much trouble since they bobbed his - and they could have left hers natural... but they didn't - and hers seem to bother her even more! They just almost seem to HURT - so I always massage them lots each day!

I swear if I didn't think I'd cause problems, I'd try to treat their ears with medicine!

Caseys Mom Guest

I had a kitty who would inevitably yawn if I rubbed his face right behind his whisker pad. It doesn't work with Casey, though, or with my current cat.

Heehee ;D Violet does enjoy some nice ear rubbing from time to time, but it's mostly the sides of the face that get the moans and yawns around here. I guess maybe that just one of her quirks! Silly pooch.