Vaccination Protocol
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaccination Protocol

DefaultVaccination Protocol

I have a question about vaccine protocals. I know this has been talked about often and it seems most people vaccinate every three years (except for rabies in some places, and possibly kennel cough, and lepto which might be done more often). I'm wondering though.....how many of your Vets have actually instituted the three year protocol as a standard procedure in their practises, and how many of you just request that it only be done every three years. Are all countries (U.S., Canada, England etc.) following this protocol now. Does anyone else's Vet still go with the annual vaccines or are our Vets here just way behind the times? :-\ And for those of you who board your dogs does the kennel you use recognize the three year protocol? Our local ones don't at this time.

TIA for your replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vaccination Protocol

I live in the sticks..... and here they are WAY behind the times in both animal AND human medical issues. Our vets in this area JUST started saying we don't need to vaccinate but every three years ..... we had been going in annually for vaccinations, like distemper etc. BUT the kennels around here are still going by the yearly protocal.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Henry gets the 3 yr rabies vaccine. Rabies vaccination around here is required by law and our dog licencing peeps are recognizing the 3yr vs 1yr rabies vacc. Henry's boarders also recognize the 3yr vacc.

As far as distemper/adenovirus/parvo/parainfluenza goes, Henry is currently on a 3yr schedule for this as well (staggered so as to not occur in the same year as rabies). We are fortunate that our vet support the 3yr protocol... whether or not it has been instituted as standard procedure in her practice, I'm not sure. My personal hunch is that they would routinely do annual vaccs, unless the owner specifically asked not to have them done. I'm basing this on the fact that my parents use the same vet, and there has never been a discussion about not vaccinating their dog annually.

For non-core vaccines, bordetella and lepto have to be given annually, that is my understanding.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Melissa and Felicia. This is exactly the information I wanted to know. I'm puzzled because my Vet stays very up to date on things and yet continues with the annual vaccines. As of last year he didn't carry the individual lepto shots, but if enough people ask maybe he'll start....and maybe he'll think about going to the three year. Rabies here has always been every three years.

More replies would really be appreciated because I'd like to get a better idea of how many Vets are using the three year protocal as a standard now and not just a special request. As long as our local Vets are going with the annual vaccines our boarding facilities will require you have it.

Rabies is 3 year here except for pups and elderly dogs (and I think that's a cost thing, not anything else). Distemper/parvo/etc are 3. But bordatella is 1, based on the kennels.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Where I am in Australia the annual vaccination is still recommended. We vaccinate against hepatitis, distemper, parvo +/- KC. No rabies here, thank goodness. This would be required by any boarding kennels (vax would have to include KC). The recommendations coming from the company's that produce the vax are still to give it annually.

Won't someone please feed me!

Scout and friends Guest

I'm in Canada also. My vet and his partners have gone to the 3 year protocol for the vaccines Felicia mentioned. And the rabies shot is on a different rotation than the others.

For boarding etc they gave me a certificate showing her immunization is current and not due until the 2009 and 2010.

dogmom is offline Senior Member

At the clinic where I work we have used the 3 year protocol for several years. Our rabies vaccines are also every 3 years (exception is the first vaccine is good for 1 year only). We don't have a problem here with Lepto and it is not given by most Vets unless the owner specifically request it. Bordetella is only given if the dog is being boarded at a kennel that requires it. Most of the kennels here will board dogs on the 3 year protocol.

Allie is offline Senior Member

I think it's local ordinance that dogs be vaccinated for rabies annually here. Not 100% sure, though.
    Allie, Teddy (6), Emily (7), and Ivy (4)

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

You should print out a copy of the 2006 AAHA Canine Vaccine Guidelines and highlight the recommended 3-year protocol for the DHPP for your veterinarian. This is rapidly becoming the gold standard of veterinary preventative care, and no offense, but your veterinarian sounds like s/he really needs to update their protocols.
    http://www.aahanet.org/About_aaha/Ab..._Canine06.html
    (warning before printing- this is 28 pages long)

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast