Just Labradors banner

Vaccination Protocol

2K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Maddie 
#1 ·
I have a question about vaccine protocals. I know this has been talked about often and it seems most people vaccinate every three years (except for rabies in some places, and possibly kennel cough, and lepto which might be done more often). I'm wondering though.....how many of your Vets have actually instituted the three year protocol as a standard procedure in their practises, and how many of you just request that it only be done every three years. Are all countries (U.S., Canada, England etc.) following this protocol now. Does anyone else's Vet still go with the annual vaccines or are our Vets here just way behind the times? :-\ And for those of you who board your dogs does the kennel you use recognize the three year protocol? Our local ones don't at this time.

TIA for your replies.

#2 ·
I live in the sticks..... and here they are WAY behind the times in both animal AND human medical issues. Our vets in this area JUST started saying we don't need to vaccinate but every three years ..... we had been going in annually for vaccinations, like distemper etc. BUT the kennels around here are still going by the yearly protocal.

Melissa
;)

#3 ·
Henry gets the 3 yr rabies vaccine. Rabies vaccination around here is required by law and our dog licencing peeps are recognizing the 3yr vs 1yr rabies vacc. Henry's boarders also recognize the 3yr vacc.

As far as distemper/adenovirus/parvo/parainfluenza goes, Henry is currently on a 3yr schedule for this as well (staggered so as to not occur in the same year as rabies). We are fortunate that our vet support the 3yr protocol... whether or not it has been instituted as standard procedure in her practice, I'm not sure. My personal hunch is that they would routinely do annual vaccs, unless the owner specifically asked not to have them done. I'm basing this on the fact that my parents use the same vet, and there has never been a discussion about not vaccinating their dog annually.

For non-core vaccines, bordetella and lepto have to be given annually, that is my understanding.

#4 ·
Thanks Melissa and Felicia. This is exactly the information I wanted to know. I'm puzzled because my Vet stays very up to date on things and yet continues with the annual vaccines. As of last year he didn't carry the individual lepto shots, but if enough people ask maybe he'll start....and maybe he'll think about going to the three year. Rabies here has always been every three years.

More replies would really be appreciated because I'd like to get a better idea of how many Vets are using the three year protocal as a standard now and not just a special request. As long as our local Vets are going with the annual vaccines our boarding facilities will require you have it.

#6 ·
Where I am in Australia the annual vaccination is still recommended. We vaccinate against hepatitis, distemper, parvo +/- KC. No rabies here, thank goodness. This would be required by any boarding kennels (vax would have to include KC). The recommendations coming from the company's that produce the vax are still to give it annually.

G
#7 ·
I'm in Canada also. My vet and his partners have gone to the 3 year protocol for the vaccines Felicia mentioned. And the rabies shot is on a different rotation than the others.

For boarding etc they gave me a certificate showing her immunization is current and not due until the 2009 and 2010.

#8 ·
At the clinic where I work we have used the 3 year protocol for several years. Our rabies vaccines are also every 3 years (exception is the first vaccine is good for 1 year only). We don't have a problem here with Lepto and it is not given by most Vets unless the owner specifically request it. Bordetella is only given if the dog is being boarded at a kennel that requires it. Most of the kennels here will board dogs on the 3 year protocol.

#10 ·
You should print out a copy of the 2006 AAHA Canine Vaccine Guidelines and highlight the recommended 3-year protocol for the DHPP for your veterinarian. This is rapidly becoming the gold standard of veterinary preventative care, and no offense, but your veterinarian sounds like s/he really needs to update their protocols.
http://www.aahanet.org/About_aaha/About_Guidelines_Canine06.html
(warning before printing- this is 28 pages long)

#11 ·
CaliforniaLabLover said:
and no offense, but your veterinarian sounds like s/he really needs to update their protocols.
No offence taken. ;) You know it seems as though there SHOULD be a standard (as with human vaccinations) that everyone follows. I have to think that there must still be a good number of Vets using the annual protocol or they would be feeling "obligated" to change. I would guess that locally very few people at this point are questioning the annual shots, and if not for the amount of reading I do I might not be either. You learn a lot on forums like this. This issue has me frustrated. Obviously I could set my own protocol, but there are times when I HAVE TO use the local kennels. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out... and I'm going to talk to my Vet. I'm sure someone posted another link (was it UC Davis) awhile back giving their recommendations too.

Question: Are the vaccines the same or is there a difference in the vaccine for those that use the three year protocal?

Thanks to those who have responded so far. While I thought that most of you used the 3 year protocol, I wondered if it was just your personal choice or whether it was your Vet's standard practise.

More replies would be appreciated. :)

#12 ·
bumping for you, and also:

For me, it was a personal choice to have Henry vaccinated every 3 years rather than annually.

I'd been doing a ton of research and reading, and since Henry is eating raw, it really made sense for me to become more aware of what else I was putting into his body. I was lucky that our vet was on board when I approached her about this (with a copy of the AAHA vaccination guidelines), I was worried as she is not fond of the fact that I'm feeding him raw.

I believe they are the same vaccines... it has just been shown that they provide immunity longer than a year. The only one that I can think of with different versions is rabies... it comes as a 1yr and a 3yr.

Our proof of vaccination is similar to Judith's, where it states that Henry has had the 3yr rabies, and is not due for DAPP until 2008.

#13 ·
our vet went to the 3 yr schedule/protocol for all core vaccines a couple of years ago, and actually made a point of telling me that the practice was doing so based on the recent research out etc...

rabies is done at ~4mos or so, then another 1 year after the puppy/4 mos shot, and then every 3yrs after.

we don't board regularly so i can't answer about what kennel's recognize, but i believe our vet still does bordatella annually if needed/wanted.

#14 ·
Thanks Felicia. Do you know if Canada puts out any guidelines for Vets? I guess the vaccine companies must include instructions with their products. I wonder if THEY are still recommending annual.??

pj - Thanks for responding. It's puzzling to me that apparently some Vets (like yours) have been switched to this protocal for the core vaccines for a couple of years, while others haven't switched yet. It seems like there should be a standard and it should be the same everywhere. (providing the vaccines are the same)

#15 ·
I'm not sure if Canada puts out their own guidelines or not... I haven't happened upon them if we do, but will let you know if I find any! :)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my thought would be that vaccine companies would continue to recommend annual vaccs... after all, that's their livelihood.

#17 ·
Our vet has been using the 3 year protocol for a while, it's pretty much the standard around here, except for the practices that are truely desperate for money ::)

The funny thing is, a certain veterinary organization had a publication with Merial and a bunch of veterinary professors for their 3 year DA2PP and 3 year rabies vaccines that showed how vets can actually make more money with a 3 yr protocol than with the old school vaccinate every year deal. The idea being that since it lasts three years, the public will pay more for it (even though it's the same vaccine) and people still have to come in every year for an office visit to get lepto and/or KC, then you stagger it with the rabies as well.

Vets that aren't doing every 3 years really get my goat. Keep current on your profession for crying out loud! Scroll partway down for UPenn's vaccine protocols (also 3 years):
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/schoolreso...cations/bellwether/61/vaccine_guidelines.html

Good luck with your vet :)

#18 ·
yellojakesmom said:
Vets that aren't doing every 3 years really get my goat. Keep current on your profession for crying out loud! Scroll partway down for UPenn's vaccine protocols (also 3 years):
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/schoolreso...cations/bellwether/61/vaccine_guidelines.html
It's about $$. Not that I want to bash Vets but I have seen my own Vet, who I work well with, take advantage of my friend and her, for lack of a better word, ignorance when it comes to vaccines, etc. But she has gone in and said, "my friend Kim B told me...." and then they usually, reluctantly, give in.
They have really snowed her with the vaccine issue before. Giving what she did not need, or request and charge her for it.
I love my clinic, but I am sure they hate seeing me come in because I am usually armed with the lastest and greatest info I printed off the web for them LOL
Though sometimes I have been thanked by them because they were not aware of some of the stuff I have enlightened them too.
They certainly love my money though. My dogs can never have an emergency in on-call hours!!!

#20 ·
yellowjakesmom - Hmmm. I don't think it would be ethical for them to charge more for exactly the same vaccine. However, where the lepto shot is part of the core vaccines I'm sure that switching to give it as a separate shot would help to compensate for going to the three year protocol. The other side of it I suppose is the question of whether most dog owners would bother going in for the other shot(s) or for check-ups, or would they just leave it to every three years when the core vaccines were due. My Vet does a thorough exam along with the vaccinations. I imagine most Vets do. I guess that's a bit of a moot point though, because the bottom line is we don't want or need to over vaccinate. Thanks for the link. :)

cinderbaylabs - Yes, I don't think that there is any doubt that vaccinations are a big part of the Vet business, and although the three year protocol seems to be the standard now, it is clear from this thread that MY Vet isn't the only one that is still going with annual routine. LOL at your Vet hating to see you. I'm sure I ask WAY more questions than the average person asks, so maybe MY Vet feels the same. Ha ha. No, seriously I think he appreciates people being more knowledgeable, and I am more than happy with him as a Vet. He NEVER rushes me....no matter how many questions I ask. The vaccine thing is frustrating though, and something I am definitely going to talk to him about. Until the protocol changes locally, the boarding facilities are still going to require "yearly" vaccinations, and there are times when I HAVE to use the boarding facilities.

:) Thanks.

#21 ·
Our old vets in St.Catharines once told me that for many of their clients, the only time they see an animal is for their yearly exam and vaccs (these people obviously don't have labs!! LOL!). They were concerned that if vaccines went to 3 years, some clients would only bring in their pets every 3 years rather than annually for their wellness checks. So I think that if/when a vet clinic adopted a 3 yr vaccination schedule, it would be prudent/important for them to stress the need for an annual wellness exam, even though they're only giving vaccs every 3.

Our current vet, I don't think she actively pushes yearly vaccs, but if the owner doesn't say anything to the contrary, the pet gets the same vaccs it got last year... and the year before... and the year before that. So, it's a matter of a general public that isn't as educated in vaccination guidelines.

Which then begs the question... isn't it the vets' responsibility to be educating their clients? Rather than the other way around? I always feel a bit bad when I bring stuff in (like Kim) to our vet, because I don't want them to think I'm trying to tell them how to do their job... but, I want what's best and current for Henry too!

#22 ·
henrysmom said:
Our old vets in St.Catharines once told me that for many of their clients, the only time they see an animal is for their yearly exam and vaccs (these people obviously don't have labs!! LOL!). They were concerned that if vaccines went to 3 years, some clients would only bring in their pets every 3 years rather than annually for their wellness checks. So I think that if/when a vet clinic adopted a 3 yr vaccination schedule, it would be prudent/important for them to stress the need for an annual wellness exam, even though they're only giving vaccs every 3.
Yes, I'm sure this is part of the reason some of the Vets are sticking with the annual vaccines, and to be fair I'm sure it's not just a monetary thing. Still, over vaccinating could cause problems too. My Vet knows that I'll bring my dog in for a check up regardless of vaccinations. Maybe if they SENT out "annual exam/wellness" notices as an alternative it would help to get people in, but I'm sure many still wouldn't bother if the didn't have to go for vaccinations unfortunately.

henrysmom said:
So, it's a matter of a general public that isn't as educated in vaccination guidelines.
Which then begs the question... isn't it the vets' responsibility to be educating their clients? Rather than the other way around? I always feel a bit bad when I bring stuff in (like Kim) to our vet, because I don't want them to think I'm trying to tell them how to do their job... but, I want what's best and current for Henry too!
I think you're right. I really doubt the average pet owner going to the Vet would question the protocol. Unless they were members of a forum such as this one (which I'm sure the vast majority aren't) or they happen to read it somewhere (unlikely), why would they. It certainly SHOULD be the Vet's that are getting this info first and educating their clients. I'm sure they ALL must be aware of it by now. I feel like you in that I don't want my Vet thinking that I'm trying to tell him how to do his job, but at the same time I want to do what's best. I've wondered for years (even before the annual protocol was questioned) if dogs were being over vaccinated.

#23 ·
Top Of The Hill said:
I'm sure someone posted another link (was it UC Davis) awhile back giving their recommendations too.

Question: Are the vaccines the same or is there a difference in the vaccine for those that use the three year protocal?
First of all, the veterinary schools adhere to the AAHA protocols posted...they are all (or should be, unless for some reason their certification has been suspended, which can happen for a variety of reasons) AAHA-certified hospitals. It was a combined effort of immunologists and practitioners across the nation, including those in these veterinary teaching hospitals, that got these protocols published.

Second, it really depends on the vaccine as you'll see when you read the protocol. There are some vaccines whose immunity (regardless of whether it is a vaccine for the same diseases as a longer-lived one) simply don't last as long. Much of it has to do with what else is in the vaccine to induce an immune response anyhow. That's why there are certain rabies vaccines that are absolutely licensed for every 3 years in an adult dog, and some that are only licensed for a year... that has nothing whatsoever to do with local regulations. I'm talking about the actual "proven" vaccine efficacy and the time frame that it is actually labelled to work.

#24 ·
CaliforniaLabLover said:
Top Of The Hill said:
I'm sure someone posted another link (was it UC Davis) awhile back giving their recommendations too.

First of all, the veterinary schools adhere to the AAHA protocols posted...they are all (or should be, unless for some reason their certification has been suspended, which can happen for a variety of reasons) AAHA-certified hospitals. It was a combined effort of immunologists and practitioners across the nation, including those in these veterinary teaching hospitals, that got these protocols published.

Second, it really depends on the vaccine as you'll see when you read the protocol. There are some vaccines whose immunity (regardless of whether it is a vaccine for the same diseases as a longer-lived one) simply don't last as long. Much of it has to do with what else is in the vaccine to induce an immune response anyhow. That's why there are certain rabies vaccines that are absolutely licensed for every 3 years in an adult dog, and some that are only licensed for a year... that has nothing whatsoever to do with local regulations. I'm talking about the actual "proven" vaccine efficacy and the time frame that it is actually labelled to work.
Thanks. I had a quick look at the AAHA link, but I'm going to read it thoroughly before I go to the Vet next. Is what you are saying (for instance) that my Vet might not be currently using a vaccine combo shot that is good for the three years? There are certain combo vaccines (for the same diseases) that are and some that aren't? I have always been told that they were one and same vaccines....not a different one for the three year protection. (accepting the rabies vaccine) I better go and read the the AAHA link you gave me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.