The good & the bad of entering obedience (rally actually) - Hey Connie!

Thread: The good & the bad of entering obedience (rally actually) - Hey Connie!

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe good & the bad of entering obedience (rally actually) - Hey Connie!

This weekend Moose and I went to our 2nd dog show where we entered Rally Novice. The first show we got 1st and 2nd place and earned 2 of our rally Novice legs. It was a lab specialty and was really fun. So since we were on a roll I entered a show this weekend that was really huge. Over 1800 dogs entered in conformation, obedience, agility and rally. It was truly amazing and what an experience. I truly enjoyed seeing all of the breeds in one place - and some really beautiful dogs.

So Saturday, after exhausting myself from hauling everything to our ring (quite a ways to walk) we got settled and found out they were really behind. We arrived about 10:30 and our start was delayed from 11:30 to 1:30. So I just tried to stay cool and calm. The course we had for Rally Novice A was actually pretty straight forward. We were about 4th from last out of about 22 in Novice A. We had the worst run ever, but we did Q and we earned our Rally Novice A !!!! so what to do about Sunday?

I decide what the heck we will move up to Adv. A - afterall look how well we did in Novice. So I talked SU and son into going with me to help me haul everything (I was so tired from Sat.). We got there in time to sign up and relax for about an hour. Lots of support, my obedience instructor was competing in the same ring, several others from my classes and Julie (CaliforniaLabLover) plus my family. How could I go wrong!

Oh Connie - this should make you feel better!

The course for Advanced A started out with a jump and had a spiral 8 with food and toy along with several other challenging signs. But I figured we were up for the challenge. We entered the ring last so of course we had everyone watching. We went towards the jump and I give Moose the "over: and he looks at me like "what???". And then, oh look there is a food dish - he bee lines to the dish and is just shoving his snout down trying very hard to get to the food. I actually manage to get his attention and we come back and we try again. Once again I got the "you want me to do what?" look. At this point the judge says you might want to just skip this and go on. Well I didn't need to bother because Moose decided to go check out the food again and then left the ring.

I wasn't too bummed not going back into the ring for the awards since out of the 8 in Adv. A on Sunday only 1 person Q'd - and it wasn't my instructor

So we have lots of work to do over the summer on off lead and hopefully by the fall we will be ready to try again. What a long day for a NQ.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: The good & the bad of entering obedience (rally actually) - Hey Connie!

Oh Sharon lol... I'm sorry but that is so funny. Congrats on your Q on Saturday! Well done Moose.

DefaultRe: The good & the bad of entering obedience (rally actually) - Hey Connie!

Congrats on Moose's RN!!! ;D

I can just picture the hijinks in Advanced! You are one brave lady for jumping right in!! Not only is it off leash, you've got food bowls to contend with!

Henry finished his CARO RN last year, and I have yet to enter him into an advanced ring... he'd have done exactly the same as Moose!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

he heee! I can just picture it Sharon

WTG on Saturday's accomplishment! Woohoo!

and I am impressed with your bravery and great attitude for Sunday's challenge.

I can tell by your posts this is really fun for you and Moose.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Oh my, they have food bowls around off-leash Labs? That would have to be the ultimate challenge! LOL
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    Oh my, they have food bowls around off-leash Labs? That would have to be the ultimate challenge! LOL
    I found tennis balls were a bigger challenge for Kona!!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Sharon, you and Moose both looked great out there, in spite of the "typical lab" antics. I am so proud of you guys to have earned your RN this weekend, too! Wow!

Your son is such a little gentleman (and adorable), too!

It was wonderful getting a chance to visit a bit...next one?
    Will you be hitting the show in Long Beach on the 23rd? It is the Beverly Hills Kennel Club one, and is in El Dorado Park. Beautiful area, though last year, the rings were scattered all over the place in a very strange pattern. My in-laws came last year and couldn't find the lab ring. There is a great picnic area where we (HDLRC members) like to have a cereal "bar" though...you're more than welcome if you're coming!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon