Spay Complications? **Update**
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spay Complications? **Update**

DefaultSpay Complications? **Update**

Jozie was spayed on the 24th. She developed a large bump, a bit larger than an egg. We have been using a hot compress on it. It seems to have stayed about the same. Has anyone else seen this happen to their dog after a spay?

It does not seem to bother her. She lets us touch it, it not hot, and their is not a discharge. She has a ton of energy. We have been keeping her in her crate with and x-pen attached to it. Trying to keep her as calm as we can. But she is still a puppy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Spay Complications?

More details please,or a picture if you can get one...
    Is it red?
    Where is the bump? On the incision line or to the side? Beginning, middle end?
    Does it get flat if you push (gently) on it?
    Does it seem like it's in the skin or coming from deeper?

Something that size not painful would make me wonder if she has a hernia, which is not really urgent but does require surgical repair. However, if it changes and becomes very tender or she begins behaving like she's really sick, get thee to a vet STAT.

It's not red or bruised. The incision is in the center of it and it's the length of the incision. It does not get flat when touching it. It's a little bit mushy.

We have a vet appointment on Tuesday for her ears.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like a hernia from the description - basically, the underlayer of muscle which below the skin was sewn closed, and now that came open...

This is a link to a little info page and picture on a human example.
    http://www.herniaonline.com/typesofh...ncisional.html

Granted, I'm not a vet and I haven't seen the pup but based on my "people" medical knowledge, this is something to have the vet see, but not a need to get to the emergency vet or anything. Tuesday should be fine. That is, unless it becomes incarcerated/strangulated - she would be sore in that area, it might get rapidly more swollen, she might start vomiting, or acting really un-well. That would merit an emergent visit, but you would know something was wrong.

And also, warm compresses aren't likely to help a hernia... they really just help something that needs to drain like a boil or abcess (and I can't imagine either of those being egg-sized but nontender)

Best thing is just avoiding straining, jumping, etc. In people, we try to make sure they aren't constipated, to minimize 'bearing down' but I don't know that there's anything to that in dogs.

Keep us posted on how she's doing or news from the vet, ok? Good luck!

Thanks for your input!

Rae

DefaultRe: Spay Complications? **Update**

I brought Jozie in today. It's not a hernia! Thank goodness! They said a hernia would be painful to her. It's fluid, from being too active. They gave me antibiotics and a sedation medication to keep her calmer. So, one more week of inactivity. :'(

Thanks again to VioletsFolks for your input!

Rae

Great news! And what a lab-type ailment ("too active" lol!)
    Glad to hear it's nothing too major, sounds like they'll have her up to speed before long.
    Hang in there with the bored puppy. Give her lots of head rubbin' and ear scratchin' for me.
    -cheryl

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Rae,

Just saw this, glad to see it is nothing serious for Miss Jaden, other than her being a typically active labby pup.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I am guessing that you're probably talking about a seroma, which is a pocket of fluid (serum, if you will) that forms in the pocket left behind when the incision is made in the first place. Usually, the internal sutures will "close" the pocket left behind during surgery between the layers of tissue.

However, if the dog becomes too active too quickly (which is the case with *most* young, healthy labradors), then the tissue layers have too much movement to allow them to heal "together" and the serum collects in the pocket instead. Usually, if this is the case, the warm compresses *will* actually help, though typically the seroma will go away within about a month anyhow, as the body continues to heal and absorbs the excess fluid.

It is good that you're taking her in, though, because a suture reaction, a hernia (as mentioned above, though usually if it is that large, you should be able to 'poke' it back into her belly), or an infection can all appear very similar.

Let us know what the vet says!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast