Cats and dogs....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats and dogs....

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultCats and dogs....

Does anyone have any experience introducing the two?

We brought Shadow home to my boyfriend's house on Friday. She's a 1 year old domestic medium haired cat. Shadow's pretty fearless and a purring machine. The SPCA recommended confining her to a room, but she started to scratch the door wanting to explore, so Scott let her out.

Last night we had them (Sam and Shadow) both in the living room. Shadow did very well the door was open for her to leave, but she stayed. Sam likes to play and she kept trying to get Shadow to play. Shadow lay back and tried to swat her. This is when we separated them to opposite sides of the room. This is Sam's first experience with a cat that doesn't run away.

(Sam eventually passed out on the floor and Shadow startled her by batting her tail).

Will they adapt? Will we eventually be able to leave them alone together or will supervision always be required? Are there any tips? We made sure to give Shadow an escape route out of the room in case she really felt threatened.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Cats and dogs....

We have 3 cats and 4 dogs
    for the most part everyone gets along together unless someone sticks their nose in the wrong place.
    The cats do/will play with my girls tails when they are wagging a little tinny bit (not an all our wag I can see Kitty going for a flight in the air with a full wag lol)
    we don't have any HUGE trouble with the dogs taking off after the cats except maybe when the cats jet in from outside and the dogs arnt expecting it.
    I don't leave my dogs and cat out alone while I am gone (except for Copper who doesn't bother the cats).

You said you had the cat shut in a room... If you are going to give the cat a room I would baby gate the door way so Sam cant get in. Cats need their own space some times. Our cats have the kitchen most of the time along with my mothers bedroom.

Good luck!

Thanks! That's an excellent suggestion. I will look in to getting a baby gate. I'd only thought about cat doors, but I don't think my boyfriend likes the esthetics of a cat door. A baby gate is better because we can remove it when/if company comes over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

It only takes time with the right dog, and most Labs are right !

I have had cats before dogs and dogs before cats and they have all learned to adapt in the end - not always a love thing but all relaxed in each others company.

As long as the cats can escape and the dogs are not subjected to attacks then It will all end well

swimmer is offline Senior Member

Perris, our yellow lab, is eight years old.

She is completely unaggressive toward cats, birds, rabbits, dogs, etc.

Last December we brought home from the shelter our first cat -- a 1.5 year-old female short-hair domestic (name = Dancer).

We kept the two separated for about a week. Then we introduced them. The cat blew up like a puffer fish, backed into a corner and would not take her eyes off Perris.

We continued to isolate the two for several more days (too long in my book, but we were following the shelter directions).

Perris accepted the cat from the get-go, but the cat took much longer to accept Perris. The two now pass in the hall, the cat will sit with her back turned to Perris who lies a foot away. Occasionaly the cat will walk up behind a sleeping Perris and v-e-r-y carefully stretch her nose to sniff Perris's paw or tail. She seems to do this only when we are in the immediate area.

The other night Perris was wandering around the house and I noticed that Dancer was following Perris around! Very cool. . .

The thing about this relationship that surprised me the most is that it took far longer for the cat to become comfortable with Perris than I thought. However, five and a half months into it, they seem to be friends.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

I have 3 cats and 1 dog. When we got apollo we just brought him home and the cats had to adjust or deal with being pissed off lol! We knew apollo was good with cats when we adopted him, so we just set him loose in the house and let the cats deal with it. The cats had never seen a dog before, but apollo was so calm and he new the cats were scared so he never approaced them (even though he looked curious). One of my cats had serious behavior problems before we got the dog (he was psycho and would attack me and hed stare at the wall for mintues at a time and hiss and bite it) but once we brought apollo home he TOTALLY changed! I thought we'd have to put Musashi on medication he was so screwed up, but getting a dog made him totally calm down! Who'da thought!

I think that as long as your dog is not small animal agressive, I'd just let the cat and dog out together from the get go. The cat can always run and hide and if you have a non small animal agressive dog, then you know that the dog wont chase and torment the cat. Im glad i just introduced the cats to the dog immediatly. it took ONE day for them to get used to the dog and they had never seen a dog before in their lives. I was really suprised how well they adjusted. Now the fight over who gets to rub their scent on apollo! its really funny!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Thanks for your stories. One of the funny things that happened last night was the cat picked up Sam's rawhide and nibbled the end that had remnants of peanut butter. Sam was very good and left Shadow alone, but when Shadow dropped it, Sam went and reclaimed her rawhide. I didn't know cats liked rawhide.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Some cats (like my cat, Genghis) also likes bones. Here is a funny pic of him with apollo's smoked knuckle bone (i dont give apollo smoked bones anymore)

Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Cute picture!
    The cat also seemed to like chocolate cake, but she just had a taste. When I opened the fridge this morning she went right it. I pulled her out, she didn't touch any of the food. Can you tell, I'm not the cat person? All this behaviour is new and very interesting. She came running to the door when I got to my boyfriend's house. We're going to have to get her a harness to let her have some supervised playtime outside.

They WILL definitely adjust to one another... just in their on time. We have 2 labs, 1 basset that showed up and 1 cat. God bless the cat - she just deals with everyone and accepts them each as they come! Everyone is friends and buds, tail playing, licking and all.

The only exception is my neighbors 2 great danes. Cat hates them... 1 chaser her - the other is TERRIFIED of her! So she just goes to the laundry room when they're over - and everyone is fine!

Oh, and my cat and all the dogs share a water bowl!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast