He is too smart

Thread: He is too smart

DefaultHe is too smart

We adopted Wyatt a lab mix when he was 5 weeks old. He was a bottle fed orphan. He is now 8 weeks old and a very smart little bugger. I have four other dogs (three beagles and a boston terrier) and two cats. Because he was so young, I didn't quarentine him from my adult dogs - they are well socialized and it has been helpful socializing little Wyatt. Wyatt has been treated for a variety of problems (he came from the south where he was dumped without mamma - and wasn't vaccinated). He had kennel cough (which quickly spread to my pack), roundworm, hookworm, and cocciadia - but he is really thriving! Such a happy and smart boy. He now weighs 8 pounds - from what I'm reading is small for a lab. Could it be because he was bottle fed? I wonder what he is mixed with?

We started training him at home - he is very good at sit. I am working on stay and take a few steps back and call him to me. He looks foward to his "treats" (I use his kibble). He is also working on group sit with my pack (can't have 5 dogs and no group sits). He started using the doggie door right away and has had no poop accidents in the house. He keeps the crate clean, and we are still working on housebreaking for pee (I need to train my hubby more). We are working on down and started with retrieve (he did a fine job), release and leave it.

I know he is really young, am I pushing it with the training? I can't wait until we are finished with his vaccinations and I can socialize him some more and walk with him.

Also, he has no fear. It is amazing how confident he is. I always thought labs were kind of goofy (maybe because my friends never trained their young labs). But this guy is very good. According to my vet he will be able to go to training in July. He won't be 12 weeks yet, but there is a puppy class.

I swear - he doesn't cry or whine in his crate (and hasn't from the beginning) was excellent the first time he had his leash and collar on - and is very brave for a little baby. (Most of my dogs were adopted as adults)

Here is a picture (If it works) of Little Wyatt crawling in the crate with my old man beagle (yes it is a crate that I have for the cat, but three of the dogs like to crawl in together LOL). I do have large crates all around the house, but for some reason they like to puppy pile in this one.

Any advice is appreciated (I don't want to push too hard on the training - but he seems to enjoy it).

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: He is too smart

Welcome to the board. Wyatt is one cute little guy. I love your puppy pile.

I got Cinnamon at 8 weeks and started her training right a way. I was also lucky in that the 3 weeks prior to that were mostly school break for Christmas vacation. I slipped the breeders 2 oldest children (10 & 12) a $20 each when I picked her out to spend some extra time with her as I wanted her well socialized. When I picked her up I discovered how good of a job they did. She knew the sit command, was beginning to get the hang of going potty outside and such. They even had her sleep in their room the last 2 nights so she was use to being away from her litter mates so no whining the first night which shocked me.

So I don't think it is to early to begin to train Wyatt. Just do it gently, keep it fun and remember he is young so they forget easily and get excited a lot. He will chew so make sure he has things he is allowed to chew on. I think your other dogs will also help teach him what is acceptable behavior.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

He is so cute! Looks like a lab puppy. I can't wait to see your group sit picture. Keep the Wyatt pictures coming.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

Wyatt is a cutie and sounds like a real smart pup! Please share some more pictures when you get the chance! Would love to see all your fur babies.
    Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

aww he looks just like axl when we brought him home. Axl was adopted too, the only one of the litter noone wanted but I think the owners knew there was something wrong with him, plus he was infested with lice and had diarreah big time but we took him anyway. He onlly weighed 8 pounds when we got him and he is now 85 pounds!

If Wyatt seems to enjoy it, I don't think you are pushing it at all. Some of them love the mental stimulations that comes with training.

He is so adorable and I love that photo of him in the crate with your beagle. How cute is that! Can't wait to see more pics of him.

Welcome to the board

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I think it sounds you're on the right path. He sure is cute!
    (I have beagles, too.)

Seamus and Flynn