Flynn: Post-ictal (epi seizure) discovery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flynn: Post-ictal (epi seizure) discovery

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFlynn: Post-ictal (epi seizure) discovery

Sometimes it takes a while to discover patterns. I wish I could report a pre-event pattern, however, there just isn't any. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

What I did finally realize today (after a rather long but mild event) is that several hours later, while resting, Flynn will position himself near enough to me to breathe on me and place a front paw somewhere on my body. (I always get down on the floor with Flynn during a seizure, holding his head, applying ocular compression, anything to soothe.)

It's the breathing on me afterward I find interesting. Tonight, while I was sitting on the floor (per usual) watching some TV, he was up on the love seat behind me. Paw touching my shoulder, breathing into my neck. It occurred to me, "He's not breathing ON me, he's taking in my scent!" Momma's reassuring scent.

Anyway, it happens every time and I just had that realization this evening.

Any of you other epi parents out there have anything similar to share? I'd love to read about it.

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Flynn: Post-ictal (epi seizure) discovery

That is so very endearing, Nance. Just like how a baby will nuzzle into your neck to get your scent...same principle.

Sweet Flynn Give him a kiss from me.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

I can't say that I have ever noticed Gus do anything like that......he usually recovers very quickly and is his usual self within minutes. About the only pattern I've noticed with Gus' seizures are that they usually occur on Sunday afternoon!!

I'm sorry that Flynn had a seizure today. Nice to think that he finds Mummy's scent a comfort

Won't someone please feed me!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Yes, Susan. I think it must be just like that. I'm so glad you understand.

Seamus and Flynn

amazongold is offline Senior Member

That is so sweet, Nance, that Flynn gets reassurance from 'niffing you and knowing you are near enough to touch.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

knock on wood Tal has had no signs of any seizures yet but when I brought him home from his neutering, I put him in his crate to keep him from wandering around and hurting himself. He cried and i thought like you did he wanted the reassurance of being with dad. So I let him out, he crawled up into the bed next to me. Dozed right off!

It is comforting to both of you. Your scent soothes Flynn and being able to soothe Flynn comforts you.
    What an awesome relationship to have.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mischasmom
    It is comforting to both of you. Your scent soothes Flynn and being able to soothe Flynn comforts you.
    What an awesome relationship to have.
    My thinking too...... for sure a "heart" dog.....

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Some of you may have read my comments about a worthless excuse for a dog, Cockapoo, we had previously. He was epileptic, but as independent and unaffectionate as they come. Never wanted to be held, or lay near you. Expect posst seizure. We would try to comfort him during the seizures, but post seizures he would find me and attach himself to any part of my body he could get to, belly or lap being preferred. It seemed that the length of this stage was directly related to the severity of the seizure. Even as independent as he was, it appeared that he new where security was when the epilepsy hit.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Anne is offline Senior Member

Sweet, sweet Flynnie. I have a great big ol' soft spot in my heart for that boy, did you know?

No significant post-ictal discoveries here, but just prior to Riley's past two seizures he was by my side. Mark and I have wondered if that is coincidence, or not.

Did Flynn have another recent episode that I missed?

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast