Agility
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agility

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultAgility

Im looking for some activities to help apollo to contiue to come out of his shell. I dont think apollo is quite ready to try thearpy work so I was thinking about agility. Someone told me that agility can help reserved/shy dogs come out of their shell and that it can help to build their self confidence. i think agility looks like alot of fun. I dont know if apollo would enjoy it or not, but I figure I'll never know until we try. How would I go about getting him involved in agility? Im not looking to compete or anything (atleast not at the moment) I am just wanting to find a fun activity that can enchance apollo's self esteem. Are their like agility classes offered at certain locations? Or like training courses for HOW to do agility? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Agility

Well, the tricky thing is that you have to have fairly good obedience before you can do agility. So, I would first really recommend a dog obedience class to work up his confidence and then look for a class after that that incorporates obedience and beginning agility. I would say look into the various Kennel Clubs in the St. Louis area and see what classes they offer. I am sure there are quite a few to choose from. I started with our kennel club. That is what I would recommend.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Thanks Dani. Apollo is pretty good with basic obedience, but we havent taken a formal obedience class, so we will definitly have to check that out. Thank you!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Jefferson and I took an agility class at the same club where we took our obedience classes. I think they also offer rally classes. So if you check around, you might find everything you want in one location!!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

oh wow! Thats really neat. Hopefully they have a place where I live that offers all types of classes, that would be great!

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

Most agility places want you to have taken obedience with them - because the dogs work off-lead. I wouldn't take an agility class that was on-lead - but I know some that do - I would rather be confident with my dogs ability to work away from me off-lead before going to do Agility. Take an obedience course- get a really sound foundation. Start teaching him tricks - then work on that stuff at a pet store - in front of another store where there are people. I would also suggest rally obedience to get him some confidence to come out of his shell - they are just little exercises that he can succeed with. You don't have to compete - but can just do the signs. You may be able to ILP him as a lab (I don't know how much of a lab he looks like) - and then get to compete at some AKC shows - but thats not the main point. All the little rally-o signs can just the foundation work to regular obedience and can also be really helpful in agility - but since they are little set exercises - they are easier to succeed at and can therefore be confidence boosting.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Just a quick note - Rocky had the basics down when I got him and I thought taking the first obedience class would be a waste - but it really wasn't. It was fun and we DID learn some things. Plus dogs do not generalize so it's great to have experience in a different context.

I replied the following to your post in the other section:

Take out the yellow pages and call up any dog school, training school in your neck of the woods - ask if they offer beginner agility classes. Most dog schools have some basic classes - and if not they will likely refer you to some who might

- call your vet and get the name of some training groups (if athey do not offer classes they will likely know someone who does)

oh and I just typed in "agility, st-louis MO" in google and found this:
    http://www.stlouisagility.org/
    on the links page it seems they name some clubs you can call. But more importantly they announce agility events that you can go visit and get more information on IN PERSON! Smiley

good luck!

ETA - THIS LINK MIGHT BE MORE USEFUL!
    http://www.gatewayagility.org/
    Go to their "training" section (http://www.gatewayagility.org/training.htm) and they have link clubs that offer classes)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Again- I have lots of information on agility clubs in the area. Some are active, some are not. You can't tell from the webpages.

Also- none of the trainers in the area will start until he is 18 months. Local policy.

Just make sure he is not doing any jumping until he is 2 year old. Some clubs require them to be at least 18 months old before they start in agility.

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

weaving is also tough on joints - well, if done correctly. My trainer told me this after I asked about introducing a young pup to channels. After seeing how my dog weaves - I won't let a younger than 18 month old to 2 year pup do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast