A lab with a drinking problem

Thread: A lab with a drinking problem

DefaultA lab with a drinking problem

Not quite ready for AA classes, but I do have a question.

Do I need to moderate the amount of water my 10 week old puppy is drinking? It seems whenever I put water down for her, she absolutely gorges herself. I think she drank the entire bowl last time, and she was clearly in pain with a belly full of water for a couple hours afterward. Its not like she isn't given water at other times, like with her meals and occassionally throughout the day.

In all my years with labs I have never seen a dog so eager for a drink. Is this a sign of anything wrong with her or just a thirsty girl?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A lab with a drinking problem

They should have water available all the time, so they can drink whenever they are thirsty, with the exception of when they are crated. that way they won't over load when they do finally get the chance to drink.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

I'd call and check with your vet to be safe. I don't think it's serious and she should lose interest. I've had young puppies do this..like they've never seen water before. It's easier to housebreak if you schedule watering but if it's very hot she should have it readily available to her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

There should be water available to your pup at all times. She is probably drinking excessively because it is not available when she needs it. With this hot and humid weather it is even more important. When I exercise Nellie (I take a gallon of water with us) she can go through a gallon of water in under an hour.
    If you are really worried take her to be checked by your vet but I think if water is available at all times she will not drink excessively.

Excessive drinking could indeed be a sign of something physically amiss. If you can monitor her then I would allow free access to water all day. Maybe if you are limiting her access she feels the need to "tank up" when she gets the chance.
    If she continues to frequently drink then urinate I would have her checked.

Thanks guys... we live in NC but she is an inside dog and is inside with air conditioning over 99% of the time, going outside ONLY to go potty. This is mostly because I am scared to death of parvo which a local friend caught and lost two puppies. So until she is fully vaccinated she will be inside 99% of the time.

She has been offered water several times per day PLUS I cover her ProPlan puppy food with plenty of water as well, so I seriously doubt she is that in need of hydration. I will put water down for her full time now (except when in her crate) and see how that works. To your point, it is MUCH harder to potty train doing this but at the end of the day I want to make sure she is getting the water she needs.

There are medical conditions that can cause excessive water drinking. My dog is on steriods and would drink until he made himself sick and then pee all over himself. Our vet told us to regulate specific amounts at specific times. I would see your vet about it.

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

Mambo is now a year old and he is a heavy drinker. He will drink until the water is gone. He has drank so much before he actually barfed. So we do limit the amount of water he is allowed to have at one time. He always has two bowls of water at anytime in the house. So its not an issue of not having it and going nuts when its around. We even spoke to our vet and Mambo is very healthy. So for Mambo its just a thing.

People look at me crazy when I tell them to stop holding the water fountain at the dog park. Mambo will stay there as long as the water comes.

I live in AZ so I have a big thing about water. Cinnamon even has a bowl in my bedroom at night if the door is closed. She drinks a lot in my opinion but the vet said to let her drink as much as she wants as long as she isn't getting sick from it.

I am probably the only one here during house training that didn't limit their dogs water before bedtime. But living in a desert I know how important water is and even though she is an indoor dog I felt it was important for her to learn water was always available.

It worked like a charm. I put water down 100% of the time so now she knows water is available all the time. She has been drinking much more in moderation. Thank you guys for your compassion and suggestions.

God bless,

Dan w/ Bear & Shelby