Feel guilty didn't purchase Scout in the right way
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feel guilty didn't purchase Scout in the right way

Scout's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFeel guilty didn't purchase Scout in the right way

Hi,
    I've had Scout for five days now and I love him dearly. He is very playful and cute. When Rocky died about 4-5 weeks ago I was so depressed and several people suggested that I get a new dog as soon as I can. I looked for breeders but I couldn't find any reputable breeders that had available puppies. I found a website called California labrador retrievers and they had a number of available pups. When he was sent to me he came with two vaccinations, deworking and dew claws removed. I never got the chance to talk with the breeder. I was required to use this dog purchasing site as an intermediary that would answer my questions. He was not checked for hip dysplasia or eye problems. I feel very bad about that.

Last night I did a search of this breeder and found she was in Missouri. I looked at her website and she had quite a few puppies but they were all difference breeds, there must have been ten different breeds. I felt sick because I thought this could very likely be a puppy mill. I'm fortunate in the fact that Scout seems well socialized and has know fear of anyone. He settled into our house very quickly so the transition went off without a hitch.

So that is my story and I feel guilty because I feel like I was an irresponsible buyer. Fortunately for me he seems like a good pup with exception of his biting is quite frequent. Has this happened to anyone else? I just kick myself for being irresponsible about how I purchsed him. My first dog Rocky I did all the right things, I met the breeder saw the pup at five weeks and visited every week until he came home at 8 weeks, let the breeder choose what puppy. He was an amazing dog. I just love Scout soI feel guilty too about questioning my judgement on the process I went through because everything in the end seems to have worked.

Sorry this is so long but I felt I needed to get this out and I'd like to get other people opinion

Thank you,
    Debbie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Well - no sense crying over spilt milk. You have him and it sounds like he has a good home. It's unfortunate that you supported a puppy mill - but what's done is done.

You should make sure to spread the word about the right way to find a puppy because you will have people asking where you got him.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Missouri is horrid for puppy mills, I live here.

Don't come down to hard on yourself, you got a wonderful pup and will be giving him a wonderful life much better than he would have known if this person is, in fact a Mill.

I got Lucky from a BYB before I joined JL and didn't know anything about breeders or how to go about it. I've got a wonderful dog regardless and so do you.

I'm sure you learned from the experience and you still have Scout so don't beat yourself up over it. Just give him lots of love!!
    Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador ... or more in your lap!

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your encouragement. You are right no use crying over spilled milk. Things have worked out so I'm extremely lucky. I will be sure to get the word out how to correctly purchase a puppy in the future.

Debbie

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

It's okay. Live and learn, eh? Think of it as rescuing the pup from who-knows-what. He'll be good to you and you'll be good to him. That is the blessing here. Okay?

Seamus and Flynn

I think I have to respectfully disagree with the group here. I mean, I'm not slamming you about it, but encouragement after the fact is as bad as encouragement beforehand and there are too many puppy mills flourishing out there because people won't let a deal go even though they suspect something is queer about it. I'm not a pro at buying Labs, but I probably wouldn't have gone through with the deal without meeting the breeder, visiting the home, and seeing the parents first. Any place that tries to discourage you from personal contact is suspect in any endeavor. There are simply too many breeders out there to have terms dictated to you. It is YOUR money after all, and this pooch is going to be with you for a LONG time. Best you should feel in control of the transaction at all times or simply walk away...
    Last edited by kdryan; 06-17-2009 at 09:26 PM.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kdryan View Post
    I think I have to respectfully disagree with the group here. I mean, I'm not slamming you about it, but encouragement after the fact is as bad as encouragement beforehand and there are too many puppy mills flourishing out there because people won't let a deal go even though they suspect something is queer about it. I'm not a pro at buying Labs, but I probably wouldn't have gone through with the deal without meeting the breeder, visiting the home, and seeing the parents first. Any place that tries to discourage you from personal contact is suspect in any endeavor. There are simply too many breeders out there to have terms dictated to you. It is YOUR money after all, and this pooch is going to be with you for a LONG time. Best you should feel in control of the transaction at all times or simply walk away...
    The poster did all this with her first Lab, she acknowledges that in hindsight she should have done the same with Scout in her original post. It's obvious that she purchased Scout out of grief, albeit that probably wasn't the best thing to do but he is obviously helping her through that grieving process which is wonderful.

Cut her some slack. The rest of the group are showing compassion, it bothers me that you don't "agree" with that.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

blacktri99 is offline Member

I am not going to pass judgement on you, that is not my place, I can tell you I have a Golden/Lab mix who is now 11 mos old that has a loving home, access to vet care if needed and i would not give him up for nothing, he was bought from a BYB that had an oops litter, Tex cost me $50. When I got Austin last month again it was from a BYB, but this person a. had his health certs ready, b. shot records. c. showed us pictures of how he was born. and d. met with us to pick the pup for us. Again I would not give Austin up for nothing. Now with me saying that would I do it again, No! I would look for a proper breeder but there our BYB that are just as responsible.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    The poster did all this with her first Lab, she acknowledges that in hindsight she should have done the same with Scout in her original post. It's obvious that she purchased Scout out of grief, albeit that probably wasn't the best thing to do but he is obviously helping her through that grieving process which is wonderful.

Cut her some slack. The rest of the group are showing compassion, it bothers me that you don't "agree" with that.
    She realized she made a mistake, but feeling awful about it isn't going to change that. So I agree with Sarah.

Like I stated before Lucky was from a BYB. Will I ever do that again? Absolutely not. Do I feel bad that I supported a BYB? Absolutely. Am I sorry I got Lucky? Absolutely NOT! She has turned out to be a wonderful addition to my family and the way I look at it is I learned a lesson, just like the OP did.

Happy came from a rescue...he was severely beaten and starved and numerous other things in the short time before I had him. He's a golden/lab mix they tried to pass off as a full lab. I love him dearly too and I strongly encourage adoption as a possibility.

Sam came from the a pound about 30 miles from here. He was on his LAST DAY. He had about 4 hours until they were going to PTS him. It's obvious his lineage isn't from a reputable breeder either, but I wasn't about to hold that against him.

Again if your going to 'purchase' a lab. Then yes we all know now what to do. But the OP realized she made a mistake and owned up to it by saying how bad she felt. If somebody yelled at me for how I got Lucky now, I'd be spitting fire at them. Feeling bad now isn't going to change how she got Scout, and us giving her support isn't going to make her go to a puppy mill in the future.

Just my two paws worth.
    Last edited by LuckyGirl; 06-17-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: grammar
    Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador ... or more in your lap!

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

Thanks for the support from almost everyone, however I don't feel bad for what kdryan said because it is true, that is why I feel guilty. However I noted I would never do that again or encourage anyone else to either. Like I said everything is working out so I got lucky, but I HATE the fact that I am helping to support a puppy mill. I am so opposed to puppy mill and would never had done this had I known I was getting it from a puppy mill. I have learned my lesson and next time I get a dog I will put my request a year before I want it so I have plenty of time to get it from reputable breeder

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast