I'm in a bad situation - UPDATE!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm in a bad situation - UPDATE!

DefaultI'm in a bad situation - UPDATE!

My new landlord has an un-altered male choclate lab. He's 1 year old and full of testoserone! Here's a few of my problems.
    1. She thinks it's okay to let her dog roam around the 10 acres we are going to be sharing. Maggie is a good dog who will stay on our portion of the property UNLESS she picks up bad habits from her dog and follows him around. Maggie is used to room but will learn her boundries.
    2. She is going to reduce the rent by $50 because her dog will probably be eating my dogs food. NOT!
    3. While on our first trip to start unpacking we brought Maggie along with us and her dog kept humping my Maggie (Maggie is fixed) and Maggie was not at all pleased so she turned and bit her dog in the face and drew blood above his eye. (Not a good first impression).
    4. The last tenant left his cat, 2 ducks and dog. I will keep the cat and ducks, but the dog I can't keep. I had thought about it, but after meeting it, my god it is a mess. No manners, jumps up on me, in the car, on everything. Come to find out, it needs shots, it has worms, it needs to be fixed, needs frontline, etc. (and grooming, poor thing)
    5. About the above mentioned dog.....The landlord is going to keep it, but where do you think it is going to stay! Right, my house! That is where it has lived the last 2 years.
    6. I know I don't have to take this place, but it is beautiful and there are not many options out there for me. I need room for 4 cats, 1 lab, 3 boats, 1 log splitter, 4 cords of wood, 2 cars and a husband with lots of crap.
    7. I know I have posted about this before, but it keeps getting worse. The poor dog is worse than I thought and the chocolate lab is beyond bad behavior. My husband wants to build a dog run for the OWNERS dog just to keep it away from Maggie. I don't think it would be fair to keep Maggie in a run if she isn't the one out of control! But, then again hers isn't used to being closed in either. Oh well, what to do????
    8. There is dog poop everywhere!
    9. When we are out training and playing with Maggie where do you think those other dogs are going to be?

This is going to be tough!

I am just frustrated with people who don't train their dogs to be good.
    Thank you for letting me vent out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I'm in a bad situation

I think you already know the answer...... do NOT move in there !! It may be a nice country place with lots of room outside, BUT you will NOT have any peace and quiet...... I think you will constantly be bothered by the abandoned dog, AND the landlords dog !! Apparently the land lord isn't too smart about dogs, or she would have her own dog neutered. Sorry, but it sounds like a huge headache to me !

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I agree - I wouldn't move in either unless the owner agreed to put up a fence to put boundaries on the property somehow. How could you ignore a dog that doesn't have a home - I know I couldn't. And also how do you know your dog will be safe - most important!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I know, deep down (I mean really deep) I will end up taking care of the abandoned dog. I will probably bathe him, brush him and give him flea/tick meds and then try to find a home for him. I am still in a bad situation. I have to move though and don't have a choice because my other landlord didn't give me any options. The area we live in is VERY EXPENSIVE! I will be paying 1100.00 per month and have room for everything and feel very lucky. I could be paying 1900.00 - 2500.00 and live in a small house with a very small yard. (not many places will allow us to have pets)

It really does help to talk about it on this board. Thank you very much for listening. I already feel better.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Then I guess you should start right off by taking over the abandoned dog....... first off, worm him and then probably you should worm your own dog too......... then start teaching him some manners....... good luck, I hope it goes well for you....... it will definitley be a challenge !

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

If this is the persons attitude with the dogs, I think you'll find it migrates into to other aspects of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by hifive
    I know, deep down (I mean really deep) I will end up taking care of the abandoned dog. I will probably bathe him, brush him and give him flea/tick meds and then try to find a home for him. I am still in a bad situation. I have to move though and don't have a choice because my other landlord didn't give me any options. The area we live in is VERY EXPENSIVE! I will be paying 1100.00 per month and have room for everything and feel very lucky. I could be paying 1900.00 - 2500.00 and live in a small house with a very small yard. (not many places will allow us to have pets)

It really does help to talk about it on this board. Thank you very much for listening. I already feel better.
    I think you've answered your own question! ..... if you feel VERY lucky to have this house WITH all the caveats that this situation brings for 1100 month, vs 1900+ for some other situation that doesn't have these problems, AND is less desireable size/space/environment....than MONTHLY you have at a minimum an $800 buffer to deal with this other dog....

sounds like i'd be asking for permission to nueter him and pay...heck, you'd have money left over for monthly medication, and even poop pickerupper service! it may suck paying for it, but from what you described, it's still a deal!!!

oh yea...but i wouldn't lock into a year lease. i would insist on a month to month, so you can escape if other stuff crept up...

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

All I can say is you are a lot more flexible than I would be. I wouldn't want my dog humped by the other dog, I wouldn't want to rent a place and be expected to care for the abandoned dog (even though I would care for it before I would let it do without). My first and foremost concern would be for my dog. What else is this landlord going to expect you to put up with along down the line ???? To rent a place and have someone tell you that another dog will be living in your house because it always has.....This is a train wreck waiting to happen. I know you think it is beautiful but I think you are buying (renting) trouble from the get go. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bearsdad
    If this is the persons attitude with the dogs, I think you'll find it migrates into to other aspects of your life.
    OMG. I never thought of that. I hope that is not true. She better not be like that.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Do not ignore all the red warning flags waving here. Don't move there. Keep looking. Another place will be found.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast