I hope he gets bigger.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hope he gets bigger.

DefaultI hope he gets bigger.

Right now Rufus is 7 Months. I knwo there is now growth chart available since all dogs are different. He ways about 50-55lbs, Ill find out for sure from the vet today. He is also about 48" tall or so at the shoulders. Is there usually a significant growth spurt after 7 months of age?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I hope he gets bigger.

Morning..48" tall at the shoulder??????? Is that right? Dakota was weighed yesterday, 6 months old, 51 Lbs. If that helps. I haven't taken his height measurements..but I'd say 20"s or so..
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus
    Right now Rufus is 7 Months. I knwo there is now growth chart available since all dogs are different. He ways about 50-55lbs, Ill find out for sure from the vet today. He is also about 48" tall or so at the shoulders. Is there usually a significant growth spurt after 7 months of age?

Jon

48" tall at the shoulders? That's 4 feet, how are you measuring this? I'd say 65 to 85 pounds is about average weight for a lab (depending on bench vs. field and gender).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hahaha, sorry I was thinking about 2ft and 48" came out. LOL. Im not a math person

He probably won't get much taller but will continue to fill out until he is 2-3 yrs old. For comparison, Murray is 24" (actually 23.99 per AKC judge measurement : ) and 90 lbs.

2 Feet is 24 inches. ??? Where are you measuring him at? You should measure from his withers.

The standard says: Size - The height at the withers for a dog is 22-1/2 to 24-1/2 inches; for a bitch is 21-1/2 to 23-1/2 inches. Any variance greater than 1/2 inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds. The minimum height ranges set forth in the paragraph above shall not apply to dogs or bitches under twelve months of age.

So I would think if anything your dog will ended up being over the standard height for the breed. The best way to know how big your dog will get is to look at his parents. Has he been neutered? If so he will probably be taller they seem to get more leggy when neutered early. Is he from bench, field, or pet bred lines.

Dayna

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

When I adopted Sundance at eight months old, he weighed 60 pounds. I don't know exactly how tall he was, but he's definitely had a couple of growth spurts since. He now weighs 71 pounds. He's a bit taller but he mostly just filled out; he's now much more muscle-y through the shoulders and I can see that his neck is a lot thicker. When I look at older pics of him, he looks like a scrawney, lankey pup compared to how he looks now.

I'm sure Rufus will fill out as well. ;D

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

I dont have an exact measurment on his height, I was guessing about 24". He is not nuetered and is from Field Lines. My father's male yellow is about 1.5 years old and looks like a cow. They nuetered him and he blew up. My last lab was tall and lankey compared to most labs. Im just hoping Rufus thickens up. Thanks everyone.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Just reacting to the comment that a male was neutered and blew up like a cow. Had a similar experience with my son's lab. The weight gain has nothing to do with the neutering, other than a possible reduction in activity level. It is really important to controll the weight of our labs. Over weight labs tend to develop a lot more health problems. Joint issues, arthritis, stomach issues, and on and on, in addition to the hip displasia which if there is any sign of will only get worse. It all has to do with input/output. They take it in and if they don't spend it on energy, it collects as fat. Just like us.

We need to take care of our fur kids. I tend to take better care of mine than I take care of myself. Geez! I just read what I typed. I think I know why I have to keep buying larger belts.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Well Rufus weighed in at 68lbs today, not bad for being 7 months old. Im hoping for a growth spurt in the next month or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast