Changing appetite

Thread: Changing appetite

DefaultChanging appetite

Between work and raising Watson, I have not had much time to forum around too much... one of many activities I had to cut back on :-P

But I'm back with a question. He's turning six months old and he's appetite is definitely changing. He's getting Pro Plan Puppy for large breed and lately he's been leaving a lot of food in his bowl, even though he's getting less than the recommended amount on the bag.

Could he be bored with the Pro Plan? Should I switch to a different food?

I was told I should keep him on LB Puppy until he's a year old because it helps them not grow too fast.

I'm curious to hear your opinions. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

The portion recommendations on the bags, doesn't matter which manufacturer, are absurdly large. Afterall, they are in the business of selling dog food. Personally, I would measure how much he left and reduce the portions by that much. Others may have better ways. Or, ask your vet.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yeah - never use the bag for serving size. You'll have a Goodyear Blimp for a dog.

I would reduce it until he finishes the bowl. And - don't change it unless you have some real reason to do so. Some switch to adult food at 7-8 months - some wait until a year. I'll keep my puppy on LBP for the full year.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

I have a 10wk old Lab puppy. I've been feeding her Orijin Large Breed Puppy Food. She's eating about [email protected], [email protected] How can I tell if my puppy is getting overweight, or do I even need to worry about it yet?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Ditto re: bag recommendations -- they're grossly inflated.

Re: MnMsMom9902: I think it's too soon to worry about it.

Re: Sherlock's Watson, below is a copy of a post I've often made:

According to the results of a JL poll I ran a few years ago which had about 80 JL owner respondents, approximately 10% of Labs are self-regulating (they know when to stop eating) while the others tend more to the glutton side with little/no sense of how much is enough.

Young pups (2 mos. age) need/tend to eat about 5X the amount that an adult dog of that same weight would eat.

As they grow older, around 7-8 to 10-11 months age, that multiplier has decreased to/nearly to 1X (that is, the same as an adult, they've reached close to adult maturity). **

My Puff is one of the rare (10%) self-regulators and as she increased in age to about 8 months, her appetite also increased from about 1 cup/day at 9 weeks and 6 lbs of weight to 5 cups at 8 months and 45 lbs. weight.

At that point she stopped eating for a meal or two and, when she resumed, she ate only part of her food. I measured the amount left, calculated the amount eaten, and offered her the reduced amount for subsequent meals.

We went through that same process several times until getting to her typical adult meal portion of a scant 1 cup/ 2X day (393 kcals/cup).

BTW, Puff is a moderately active Lab and gets substantial daily exercise.

Also, several recent life-long scientific canine nutritional studies on Labs show that those Labs fed 75% less than normal have siginificantly fewer health problems and live significantly longer.

Hope this helps.

Some, like my Puff, have a rate of weight gain similar to the shape of the silhouette of the NW quadrant of a US/Can. football when its noses are pointed E-W -- i.e., convex in shape.

Others have a more drawn out S-shape (sinusoidal?), with a rate of weight gain less than Puff's in the early months but then crossing over the trajectory of her curve with a more rapid weight gain, but then soon leveling off at the adult asymptotic level.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 06-17-2009 at 09:33 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks for the replies! I will reduce his doses and see how he goes from there.

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    Re: MnMsMom9902: I think it's too soon to worry about it.
    Thank you!