Yesterday's Surprise

Thread: Yesterday's Surprise

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

DefaultYesterday's Surprise

The dogs and I were working along the creek yesterday (actually I was the only one working), when Halle did her usual wander away, disappear in the tall grass thing. Reba and I began looking for her when out of the brush flies a large bird that was obviously having difficulty flying. It headed south along the creek with Halle and Reba in pursuit and me hollaring. Finally the bird went into the creek where Halle grabbed it and hauled it to the bank. Here I intercepted and both dogs came when called. I got a grip on Halle, but Reba chased the bird back into the water. She again came when called.
    Imagine my surprise when the bird turned out to be a PEACOCK!! The big question was/is - where did a peacock come from?

The bird appeared to be fine yesterday evening as it wandered into my neighbor's yard and roosted in the pine trees behind the house. A sad looking bird with almost no tail feathers.

The dogs are anxious to get back to the creek for another search. Whereabouts of peacock a mystery this evening. Why do I never have a camera or a leash handy when I need one.
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Yesterday's Surprise

How cool! They are such beautiful birds, but their call can be unnerving. It sounds almost like a woman yelling for help!

My sister had a peacock that visited her and the neighbor's houses for a couple of years, then it disappeared. They never knew where it came from or where it went.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

seriously?

that is so cool!!!
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

Seriously. It wasn't looking too regal after getting hauled out of the creek, but it was definitely a peacock. Not sure why it could not fly well enough to get away from the dogs, but maybe they don't fly well. I was also surprised to see it swim in the creek after the dogs were caught.

The neighbors and I think that it escaped from a truck on the way to the nearby sales barn. It was Tuesday and there is a sale there every Tuesday morning. Many, many years ago a goat appeared. That was the theory on him too. It took a couple of months to catch him.
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT