Seasonal allergies - how much Benedril?

Thread: Seasonal allergies - how much Benedril?

DefaultSeasonal allergies - how much Benedril?

What is the appropriate dose of Benedril for dog's seasonal allergies?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Seasonal allergies - how much Benedril?

1 mg per pound is the usual dose for dogs.

Hope it helps

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

***Warning***

It must be plain Benadryl without anything else in it (no cold and flu, no pain killers).

Aly (75lbs) gets 75 mg as needed.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your responses! Sam's mild seasonal allergies are a little more itchy this year because of all our snow and a wet, cool spring. He is 117 lbs so I'll adjust his dose accordingly. My vet said to be sure to use the basic Benedryl...

Do you give it to your dog until the itching eases up?...how long is too long?

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Colo Sammie

Do you give it to your dog until the itching eases up?...how long is too long?

Julie
    I use it in conjunction with allergy shots for Aly. She only gets the benadryl when she is actually particularly miserable which is probably a couple of times a week.

Throw the ball, damn it!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Jenn, why did you decide to start doing the allergy shots with Aly? Is her problem seasonal or year-round? I ask because I may go that route with Theo, after everything else (including Benedryl up to 100 mg doses) has done no good. His problems seem to be seasonal--horrendous, constant itching.

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    Jenn, why did you decide to start doing the allergy shots with Aly? Is her problem seasonal or year-round? I ask because I may go that route with Theo, after everything else (including Benedryl up to 100 mg doses) has done no good. His problems seem to be seasonal--horrendous, constant itching.
    Hi Nathan~
    The decision to do allergy shots was a difficult one, but its one I'm glad we made (except for once a month when we actually have to inject her).

Aly's allergies are seasonal. I don't know how much you know about allergy testing for dogs, but basically the vet tests for the major allergens in the area in which the dog lives. Aly turned out to be allergic to I think 25 different items including grass, cedar, cotton, dust mites, feathers, and dog dander. The vet explained that even though her allergies were mostly seasonal, we would be doing injections all year because the point of the injections is to build up resistance to the allergen itself by injecting the dog with small doses of it. She (the vet) warned that it could take about a year to see a real difference. It has been a year and the difference is remarkable. Aly still has veryveryveryitchy moments, which is when the benadryl comes in handy, but her allergies are no longer a day to day problem.

I'm happy to share any info I have with you.

Throw the ball, damn it!