Question on age/biting...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on age/biting...

DefaultQuestion on age/biting...

I've posted a few times about our little shark, and I've learned that biting tends to slow and/or stop when the adult teeth come in around 6 months (we are 3 weeks away - yay!). I'm wondering if there is an age marker where I should be concerned if she hasn't stopped biting? What experiences did everyone have with their labs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question on age/biting...

I am sure that Saska was mouthy bitey for longer than 6 months but is really does get better just hang in there. Everytime she got bity I would say no and put a toy in her mouth to play with it seemed to work for me.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe stopped at exactly 5 months.
    She went from a terrible biter, to just stopping.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

We thought Toby was part alligator when he was little. At 18 months, he's still mouthy but no longer tries to chew us (the licking is a different story, however, and if he thinks he can get away with it, he tries to hold your hand - gently - with his mouth even now). It took a fair amount of training. Chamois, on the other hand, really did seem to mostly stop biting, and she's almost 9 months old. Still tears apart and chews on toys, but no more biting Mom and Dad, and it took training but not as much as Toby did.

When they get into heavy-duty play-mode, though, watch out, sometimes they still forget you're not one of them. The good news is they realize their mistake and release immediately.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Oh, zoesmom, if only we could be so lucky! It would be a dream if she just magically stopped one day ;D. Its hard to imagine her NOT biting!

TobysTrix - that is cute how Toby tries to hold your hand!

Sounds like patience and consistency are key...

Kathryn Guest

Jacey will be 5 months old on the 7th of June and its been atlease 2 months since shes been mouthy at all... I DO NOT like my dogs mouth on me what so ever.. She learned fast! Dakota was never a bitter unless it was hear and then she wanted to suck on it : .

CassiesMom Guest

Cassie just about stopped when the last of the baby teeth came out around 5 months. She still has her moments but that is usually during play.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Remington has most of his adult teeth. He will be five months old on May 3. He still bites the crap out of Ruger, but only Ruger. He does not bite people or Magnum. I hope he will stop tormenting Ruger soon

Enzo just turned 8 weeks old today so it looks like I have a long time before he stops biting his daddy . My legs and arms are bloody testaments to this little fella's biting power!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Yes, patience and consistency. Even when it feels like everything is falling on deaf ears. It really does get better with age!

My hands and arms were ripped to shreds for the first several months. It was so bad that people would look at me with pity, then try to talk me into taking him back to the shelter. : He was an absolute shark. Deadly-accurate and fast as lightning. Nothing worked. We tried every trick in the book, everything JL had to offer. Which was a lot.

I think it just had to run its cycle.

He still likes to do the hand-in-mouth game. But his bite inhibition is worlds better. He hasn't broken the skin with his teeth in more than two years (he's almost three now).

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast